How the Great Pyramid was built

Oct 2018
Adelaide south Australia
The out and out loony toons woo began about 0.5 seconds after the last known hieroglyph was inscribed at Philae in 394 AD. The modern claptrap, as has been said, can mostly be laid at the door of Blavatsky. Pyramidiocy, something I see a little aside from the esoteric woo, begins in earnest with R.A. Schwaller de Lubicz. Well, he did not in fact write specifically about the pyramids but about the temples, the religion and the symbology. However, he laid down the template for how a total crap psuedo science book on pyramids can be laid out. He pioneered the use of illustrations ringed with dimensions which can mean anything, and the almost obsessive use of mathematical formula, which again can mean anything. Fomenko, while also not a pyramidiot, makes the same use of dense formula to contract time. Take a look at Lubicz's Temple of Man and you will exactly what I mean, that is if you have not only the mental strength to engage with this massive work, but also the physical strength to lift either of the two volumes....

It's really quite tragic for both of them, as Lubicz actually really knew his stuff about Egypt and did do genuinely good work, particularly at Karnak, and Fomenko is a brilliant mathematician. It just shows that even otherwise very intelligent men can be led astray, just by one false turn, by woo. But Egypt tends to do this. Probably a curse, I mutter clutching tight my lucky wadjet eye....
Yeah, people were most interested in Egyptian 'mysteries' and culture in nineteenth century. Still a lot of interest today.--- My sister's house has more Egyptian statues, knick-knack, books and paintings than the Egyptian room at the State Museum. I have some books and one recent painting on papyrus of an ankh.

One of the weirdest was the arch charlatan, Joseph Smith, founder of the Mormons. He bought some genuine scraps pf papyrus, with hieroglyphics. He pretended to translate them: He claimed they were 'The Book of Abraham";. Smith wrote an inventive book based his alleged translations. Smith had no understanding of Egyptian hieroglyphs.

I've been looking on line for the correct translation. I've seen it somewhere, and it has nothing to do with Abraham. Unfortunately, everything I found on line, and Youtube seems to have been posted by the Mormon church or Mormon apologists

That small problem has not deterred the Mormons, who still accept Smith's translations, of that book as well as the book Of Mormon** . They are able to do this by some slick, but simple, mental gymnastics; apologists claim the word 'translation' also means"to interpret. Hence the literal meaning of the writings are irrelevant.

**I've read chunks of "The Book Of Mormon". It's written in an odd faux King James Bible style of English. The kind of thing seen when a semi literate tries to sound educated.

Merriam-Webster:

Definition of translation

1 : an act, process, or instance of translating: such as

a : a rendering from one language into another also : the product of such a rendering

b : a change to a different substance, form, or appearance : conversion

c(1) : a transformation of coordinates in which the new axes are parallel to the old ones

(2) : uniform motion of a body in a straight line

2 : the process of forming a protein molecule at a ribosomal site of protein synthesis from information contained in messenger RNA — compare transcription sense 3

Corvidius

Ad Honorem
Jul 2017
Crows nest
Use of KJB type language is a common thread with them, something that of course the early Egyptologists did as many were more interested in "proving" the Bible than in Egypt. In the case of the esoteric crowd, they decided that Egypt was just so esoteric that they had to use highfalutin purple prose anyway, and so give a false impression of Egypt, which for them was all about ritual, chants and swirling incense, really the 19th Century Gothic revival imposed on Egypt. There was all the ritual in Egypt of course, but the Egyptians were rather down to earth and very unlike Victorians. When you learn that Thoth was often called "beaky", it rather rips away some of the pretentiousness and false mystery concocted by the pseuds.

Oct 2018
Adelaide south Australia
Use of KJB type language is a common thread with them, something that of course the early Egyptologists did as many were more interested in "proving" the Bible than in Egypt. In the case of the esoteric crowd, they decided that Egypt was just so esoteric that they had to use highfalutin purple prose anyway, and so give a false impression of Egypt, which for them was all about ritual, chants and swirling incense, really the 19th Century Gothic revival imposed on Egypt. There was all the ritual in Egypt of course, but the Egyptians were rather down to earth and very unlike Victorians. When you learn that Thoth was often called "beaky", it rather rips away some of the pretentiousness and false mystery concocted by the pseuds.

I didn't know that. I guess they would have had some interesting names for some of their other gods, such as ugly Hathor or terrifying Set.

I understand that Egyptian cosmology and religion tend to be rather literal

Bart Dale

Ad Honorem
Dec 2009
This still fails to explain how the ancient Egyptians lifted these blocks 450' to the top of the pyramid.
The Egyptians but ramp that spiraled around d the outside of the pyramid and was later filled in.

You build up the ramp and pyramid as you go around the outside once you get to the top, your start filling in rhe ramp itself (which spiraled around upward on the outside), working your way down from the top to fill in the out ramp.

Oct 2018
Adelaide south Australia
@Bar Dale

Yeah, that's the latest theory of which I was aware before seeing that claim of building the pyramid for the inside. Haven't quite got my head around that one yet.

Although the outside ramp makes perfect sense to me, I can't quite grasp the bit about filling in the ramp from the top. At that point, wouldn't the pyramid be completed?So the ramp would be dismantled from the top?

I've always imaged the ramps as having bricks on the outside ,and filled with sand. The problem with that idea is I think they would need a solid base to use their sleds/ rollers to move the massive stones.

What do you think of the idea that canals were built from the Nile to the pyramid site, to transport the large stones?

Corvidius

Ad Honorem
Jul 2017
Crows nest
Another thing that mitigates against a large external ramp leading up to the pyramid is that the casing stones were laid from the top down. If there were one or more huge ramps coming off at 90 degrees there would be no reason not to fully complete each course as you work upwards, something you cannot do with a spiral ramp. Though I would think that the lower courses did have a ramp coming straight off, as that's the easiest solution before the ramp becomes a bigger building problem than that of the pyramid itself.

Corvidius

Ad Honorem
Jul 2017
Crows nest
I didn't know that. I guess they would have had some interesting names for some of their other gods, such as ugly Hathor or terrifying Set.

I understand that Egyptian cosmology and religion tend to be rather literal
Some of the names of Sekhmet, which comes from the word for power, sekhem, the "et" ending making it female.

Eye of Ra upon the sun disc
Mistress of flame
Mistress of heat
Lady of darkness
She who brings death
Lady of all manifestations of Sekhmet
Sekhmet the great who dwells in the city
Sekhmet on her mountain
Sekhmet at the head of the valley
Lady of slaughter
Beloved of Ptah
Heart of Ptah
Daughter of Osiris
Pacifier of Horus and Set
Right eye of Ra
Sekhmet-Hathor
Hathor-Sekhmet

A hot wind off the desert was The breath of Sekhmet

Oct 2018
Adelaide south Australia
Some of the names of Sekhmet, which comes from the word for power, sekhem, the "et" ending making it female.

Eye of Ra upon the sun disc
Mistress of flame
Mistress of heat
Lady of darkness
She who brings death
Lady of all manifestations of Sekhmet
Sekhmet the great who dwells in the city
Sekhmet on her mountain
Sekhmet at the head of the valley
Lady of slaughter
Beloved of Ptah
Heart of Ptah
Daughter of Osiris
Pacifier of Horus and Set
Right eye of Ra
Sekhmet-Hathor
Hathor-Sekhmet

A hot wind off the desert was The breath of Sekhmet
Thanks for that, fascinating stuff.

Didn't know sekhmet was a word of power. I was aware that magic was an important part of Egyptian life,.he power of words has been seen as magical in many cultures.

Sorry if I have explained myself poorly . I'm having a bad day.

Bart Dale

Ad Honorem
Dec 2009
@Bar Dale

Yeah, that's the latest theory of which I was aware before seeing that claim of building the pyramid for the inside. Haven't quite got my head around that one yet.

Although the outside ramp makes perfect sense to me, I can't quite grasp the bit about filling in the ramp from the top. At that point, wouldn't the pyramid be completed?So the ramp would be dismantled from the top?

I've always imaged the ramps as having bricks on the outside ,and filled with sand. The problem with that idea is I think they would need a solid base to use their sleds/ rollers to move the massive stones.

What do you think of the idea that canals were built from the Nile to the pyramid site, to transport the large stones?
Making canals from the Nile makes a lot of sense, diging a ouple ditches for the canal sould save a lot of effort in hauling big heavy stonez in the long run. The ancient Egyptians were experienced in building canals, they had a canal for ships that connected the Nile to the Red Sea. Building a canal from the Nile to the Pyramids would not be a challenge.

As for the outer ramp, you fill in everything inside of the ramp. When you get to the top, you have the pyramid completed except where the ramp was. You then fill in the ramp starting at the top and working down. When you reach the ground, the ramp will be filled in and pyramid completed.

Bart Dale

Ad Honorem
Dec 2009
Another thing that mitigates against a large external ramp leading up to the pyramid is that the casing stones were laid from the top down. If there were one or more huge ramps coming off at 90 degrees there would be no reason not to fully complete each course as you work upwards, something you cannot do with a spiral ramp. Though I would think that the lower courses did have a ramp coming straight off, as that's the easiest solution before the ramp becomes a bigger building problem than that of the pyramid itself.
Actually, that is exactly how you would fill in the cap stones, from top down. The cap stones would not be set in place until you filled in the ramp, and you filled in the ramp starting at the top and working down. As you filled in the ramp, you added the cap stones at the same time, starting at the top.and working down.

Similar History Discussions