How the Pyramids were built

Dec 2017
Durban

I do not begrudge anyone who does believe that Aliens built the Pyramids. I understand that view, they are Amazing! It does seem improbable that we built them, but we did. The fact that we did is the greatest thing of all about it. I enjoy Sneferu but are there any other cool stories or things to know about the Old kingdom Pharaohs?

Dec 2017
Durban
You have a great handle! Galleries were a very common part of any tomb. you needed different rooms for different things, One for the actual burial chamber, one for possessions, a couple for those actually. Rooms for preyer where Pyramid text would be written on the wall......It was like the dudes house in the afterlife.

Great question!

Apr 2017
Lemuria
The Sphinx does not become to the pharaohs! It's the odd one out. It's ancient beyond belief. Some of the pyramids were built by the "strange" looking pharaohs.

specul8

Ad Honorem
Oct 2016
Australia
You have a great handle! Galleries were a very common part of any tomb. you needed different rooms for different things, One for the actual burial chamber, one for possessions, a couple for those actually. Rooms for preyer where Pyramid text would be written on the wall......It was like the dudes house in the afterlife.

Great question!
...... and , in those galleries ( or 'magazines' ) over 40,000 stone vessels were found, many of which predate Djoser .

Any ideas on this ? (I have my own, but I will hold back to see if any other opinions emerge here ) .

Feb 2011
Kitchener. Ont.
The sphinx was built for Khafre......it even looks like his statues
I find it difficult to believe that today any stonemason/architect would carve a huge body of an animal, with the intention of carving the head half-scale to the body.
I don't view ourselves as any smarter IQ wise than our ancient forebears. We obviously have the benefit of the use of technology over the centuries, but beyond that we are essentially no different.
What is common sense to us today was equally common sense to the ancients.

So why is the head of the Sphinx about half-scale to the body, unless it was re-carved in ancient times?
And if the result of the re-carved head looks like Khafre (dispute?), then it was in his reign when it was re-carved. Which means this edifice is older than Khafre.

Beyond that, I have no idea.

tomar

Ad Honoris
Jan 2011
The sphinx was built for Khafre......it even looks like his statues
I dont think it was "built"... Most likely it was a piece of rock standing out, roughly shaped like a lion (and someone said "look at that rock, looks like one of em lions, no? ") and they carved it and completed it where necessary

tomar

Ad Honoris
Jan 2011

I do not begrudge anyone who does believe that Aliens built the Pyramids. I understand that view, they are Amazing! It does seem improbable that we built them, but we did. The fact that we did is the greatest thing of all about it. I enjoy Sneferu but are there any other cool stories or things to know about the Old kingdom Pharaohs?
To be cynical, what's amazing about a pile of rocks ?... Humans like pilings rocks... They have done that for thousands of years, on all continents... Moreover the pyramid shape is the easiest one for a pile of rocks...
So OK these particular piles are bigger than others and more carefully made.... but hey they had a lot of time, a lot of rocks and not a lot of things to do....

Similar History Discussions