How the Pyramids were built

Corvidius

Ad Honorem
Jul 2017
Crows nest
There is an issue on how we in modern times view the Great Sphinx. We can walk all around it and view it from all angles. We can see that in profile the head is out of proportion to the body, and so leading some to speculate that a human head has been carved from a much larger "original" head, usually said to be a lion, sometimes a jackal. The problem here is that the Giza pyramid complex was not built as a tourist attraction, and there would have been no hordes of slack jawed gawkers viewing the Sphinx in profile and getting odd ideas into their heads about an "original" head.

When the Giza site was constructed, the Sphinx would have been seen mostly from a head on perspective and the small size of the head would not be so apparent. While in these huge constructs I think there is an element of "Remember me!" from an episode of "Futurama", the pyramids and the Great Sphinx serve a religious purpose, not as artwork or an attraction, though they became that as well.

From the front, the view that would have been seen by an ancient Egyptian from across the east shore of the Nile, and by Ra-Horakhty rising in the eastern horizon, the Sphinx head would seem to be far more in proportion to the body. This is achieved by giving the head a quite wide nemes headdress, and Lehner postulates that the nemes is meant to look like a lions mane from a frontal aspect. So no need to create a human head from an "original" lion head as it was really originally created as a human head given a lions mane in the form of the nemes to address the issue of proportion. Remove the nemes from the Sphinx head and it looks ridiculous, far too small even from the front, so they created an illusion, rather like the way the Parthenon columns are slightly convex so that they look straight from a distance.

So no "original" lion head, and certainly not a jackal, no aliens, no "ancient race" 10,000 years in the past, just yet more clever stuff from fourth dynasty Egyptians, and built by Khafre.

Last edited:

AlpinLuke

Forum Staff
Oct 2011
Italy, Lago Maggiore
Overall I tend to think that to attribute to aliens something built by an ancient civilization is a way to express mistrust towards human intelligence.

Too difficult for humans of the past ... therefore aliens.

The “Atlantis option” is not that different as conceptualization. Substantially it sustains that it was too early for an organized human society to build a pyramid or the Sphinx. It needed millenniums to reach that point of development and technological capabilities. Therefore Atlantis, may be in its second millennium of history.

Nice fairytale, but also this undermines the human intelligence as well: why shouldn’t humans be able, after the end of the Neolithic, in what we could define the “Golden Age of Megalithic cultures”, to realize similar monuments? What did they miss?

Feb 2011
Kitchener. Ont.
I have read a number of academic suggestions for the reason why this edifice is out of scale. Arguments range from, the Egyptians built 'out-of-scale' statues all the time, to it was necessary due to the hard heavier stone of the head sat above the softer stone which formed the body. Meaning that a full-scale head would have been too heavy for the body.

From the front, the view that would have been seen by an ancient Egyptian from across the east shore of the Nile, and by Ra-Horakhty rising in the eastern horizon, the Sphinx head would seem to be far more in proportion to the body.
You do realize that the Sphinx Temple sat directly in front of this Sphinx?, which would obscure a view from the East (front).

..... they created an illusion, rather like the way the Parthenon columns are slightly convex so that they look straight from a distance.
Are you comparing structures which are over 2000 years apart, and in widely different countries?
If the Greeks can engineer optical illusions in 500 BCE, then so could the Ancient Egyptians in 2500 BCE?
This is like saying structures built in the modern world could have been built by the Romans - 2000+ years ago.
Really?

In both cases we need to acknowledge a huge expanse of technological development across the 2000+ years which divide these two different countries, in different historical periods.

Todd Feinman

Ad Honorem
Oct 2013
Planet Nine, Oregon
To be cynical, what's amazing about a pile of rocks ?... Humans like pilings rocks... They have done that for thousands of years, on all continents... Moreover the pyramid shape is the easiest one for a pile of rocks...
So OK these particular piles are bigger than others and more carefully made.... but hey they had a lot of time, a lot of rocks and not a lot of things to do....
I've never understood the pyramid obsession of some; they are amazing achievements, but I've always been more interested in the temples and fortresses, jewelry and statues, myself.

Feb 2011
Kitchener. Ont.
Some years ago, didn't they find some wood carvings, in miniature, of what looked like segments of an orange? I don't know the actual name for these objects. It was speculated that four of these segments, when attached to the four sides of a square stone block, would duplicate a wheel. So two sets of these (four) segments, attached around either end of an oblong stone block would permit the stone to roll as if on two wheels.
The stone block would then look like an axle with a wheel at each end.

It was speculated that this may have been how they moved those large stones to build the pyramids, they rolled them.
Is this still regarded as a viable explanation?

Corvidius

Ad Honorem
Jul 2017
Crows nest
I have read a number of academic suggestions for the reason why this edifice is out of scale. Arguments range from, the Egyptians built 'out-of-scale' statues all the time, to it was necessary due to the hard heavier stone of the head sat above the softer stone which formed the body. Meaning that a full-scale head would have been too heavy for the body.

You do realize that the Sphinx Temple sat directly in front of this Sphinx?, which would obscure a view from the East (front).

Are you comparing structures which are over 2000 years apart, and in widely different countries?
If the Greeks can engineer optical illusions in 500 BCE, then so could the Ancient Egyptians in 2500 BCE?
This is like saying structures built in the modern world could have been built by the Romans - 2000+ years ago.
Really?

In both cases we need to acknowledge a huge expanse of technological development across the 2000+ years which divide these two different countries, in different historical periods.
I am perfectly well aware of the existence of the Sphinx temple, and of the temple of Khafre. We do not know exactly how tall these temples would have been and so what the precise view of the Sphinx would be from the east bank of the Nile. But the intention of my post was to show what view of the Sphinx is visible, temples or ground elevation apart. The view is from the front, and that is why it is speculated that the wide nemes is a "trick" to make the head seem far more in proportion to the body than it actually is

I have used the Parthenon as a well known example of a trick being used in it's construction to create a desired effect, not to try and say that the Egyptians were using methods 2000 years before their time, and I have not suggested this, nor would I ever suggest this.

Corvidius

Ad Honorem
Jul 2017
Crows nest
Nice fairytale, but also this undermines the human intelligence as well: why shouldn’t humans be able, after the end of the Neolithic, in what we could define the “Golden Age of Megalithic cultures”, to realize similar monuments? What did they miss?
To me this is one of the great bones of contention with the fringe fantasists. They insult all ancient civilizations by saying, essentially, that they were too primitive to construct the megalithic structures. I think that at the basic level, as they are generally believers in the Atlantis myth, they cannot tolerate any structure, for example the Great Pyramid, being dated to within recorded history, or not far out of it's bounds, as these dates are far too young to fit with their Atlantis beliefs. In my opinion, when we deal with these "Atlanteans", we are dealing with a religious cult, not anything rational.

I have recently lowered myself to watch an admittedly very slick fringe video on youtube about the recent discovery in the Great Pyramid. It has, at last checking, 9,000 likes and only 300 and a bit dislikes, one of them being mine. Yet it is full of total garbage aimed at an audience of ignorant people and those with closed minds. This smooth talking young man has convinced his sheeple that the profession of Egyptology is a "mafia", and that Egyptologists are holding back the "truth" from all the world. I made a polite comment showing up a deliberate lie told about Lehner and Hawass's book, and got back rants and swearing, as I expected. They are just religious maniacs, weird cultists, and always so full of hate. it's very odd.

Dec 2017
Durban
To be cynical, what's amazing about a pile of rocks ?... Humans like pilings rocks... They have done that for thousands of years, on all continents... Moreover the pyramid shape is the easiest one for a pile of rocks...
So OK these particular piles are bigger than others and more carefully made.... but hey they had a lot of time, a lot of rocks and not a lot of things to do....
Lol, I love that view

Feb 2011
Kitchener. Ont.
Here we are....

Some years ago, didn't they find some wood carvings, in miniature, of what looked like segments of an orange? I don't know the actual name for these objects. It was speculated that four of these segments, when attached to the four sides of a square stone block, would duplicate a wheel. So two sets of these (four) segments, attached around either end of an oblong stone block would permit the stone to roll as if on two wheels.
The stone block would then look like an axle with a wheel at each end.

It was speculated that this may have been how they moved those large stones to build the pyramids, they rolled them.
Is this still regarded as a viable explanation?

AlpinLuke

Forum Staff
Oct 2011
Italy, Lago Maggiore
To me this is one of the great bones of contention with the fringe fantasists. They insult all ancient civilizations by saying, essentially, that they were too primitive to construct the megalithic structures. I think that at the basic level, as they are generally believers in the Atlantis myth, they cannot tolerate any structure, for example the Great Pyramid, being dated to within recorded history, or not far out of it's bounds, as these dates are far too young to fit with their Atlantis beliefs. In my opinion, when we deal with these "Atlanteans", we are dealing with a religious cult, not anything rational.

I have recently lowered myself to watch an admittedly very slick fringe video on youtube about the recent discovery in the Great Pyramid. It has, at last checking, 9,000 likes and only 300 and a bit dislikes, one of them being mine. Yet it is full of total garbage aimed at an audience of ignorant people and those with closed minds. This smooth talking young man has convinced his sheeple that the profession of Egyptology is a "mafia", and that Egyptologists are holding back the "truth" from all the world. I made a polite comment showing up a deliberate lie told about Lehner and Hawass's book, and got back rants and swearing, as I expected. They are just religious maniacs, weird cultists, and always so full of hate. it's very odd.
The Egyptologists and the academies accepted to follow the line of inquiry of the "alternative historians" [Dr. Lehner himself can say something about this, regarding when he was at Giza, with SRI to investigate the matter of the "Chamber of Documents" under the Sphinx].

A scientist doesn't limit lines of inquiry.

What did they find?

Something very interesting [tunnels, the tomb of Osiris ...], but no "Chamber of Documents".

From that moment on [I remember it] in some environment they begun to accuse the Egyptologists to have hidden something.