How the Pyramids were built

Sep 2019
Egypt
Dear all , good day from Egypt.
My theory of how the Pyramids were built is simple.
The Pyramids were carved from stone mountains from top to bottom.
Does this sound simpler than pulling stones up the way ?
Details can be discussed .

AlpinLuke

Forum Staff
Oct 2011
Italy, Lago Maggiore
The body of the sphinx has been realized in that way, then they have covered it with little blocks and bricks.

About the pyramids there were no mountains enough high to allow such a process of construction. There were little rocky hills [about the one under the Great Pyramid we are sure] and they carried there a lot of blocks to make the pyramids. The pyramids are made of blocks, blocks which had cut and transported. If you've got a mountain and you excavate it to obtain a pyramid ... why should you cut it in blocks?

Furthermore, the stone of the pyramids came partially from other locations [even far quarries].

dreamregent

Ad Honorem
Feb 2013
Coastal Florida
If you live in Egypt, I'd try to get to the site as I think a cursory inspection would clearly demonstrate the pyramids were not carved from natural rock formations. I'm not sure if the Great Pyramid is currently open to visitors but I've been inside it before. You can see that it was built from individual blocks by inspecting the interior, particularly the corridor from the outside as the entrance used today is not an original, finished construction. Rather, it was roughly hacked through the stone blocks and joins the original passages which are further inside. I'd also note the quarry evidence is quite substantial as much of the stone actually came from the site itself and you can see the cut faces of the quarries themselves if you care to have a look.

Sep 2019
Egypt
The body of the sphinx has been realized in that way, then they have covered it with little blocks and bricks.

About the pyramids there were no mountains enough high to allow such a process of construction. There were little rocky hills [about the one under the Great Pyramid we are sure] and they carried there a lot of blocks to make the pyramids. The pyramids are made of blocks, blocks which had cut and transported. If you've got a mountain and you excavate it to obtain a pyramid ... why should you cut it in blocks?

Furthermore, the stone of the pyramids came partially from other locations [even far quarries].

Thank you for your reply.

If you walk around the pyramids you'll note that the ground all around it is pure hard rock of the same quality as the pyramids themselves . Which leads to my theory that this was all an elevated land or mountaineous rock which they started building (carving) from top to bottom .
Im sure you will agree that in theory this is way easier and more doable than pulling stones up the way .
I dont believe that the main body the the pyramids is all stones on the top of stones. I think that the main body is mounteneous rock and was carved to a rectangular shape on each level . Each level was then covered with cube shaped stones carved to size from the same level of that particular level.
The chambers inside the pyramids could easily have been carved !! as they carved many other temples and toombs in rocky mountains.

I dont have the answers to all the questions , but I am relying on the theory that building this structure from the top down is much simpler than from the bottom up.
I consider that building from the bottom up is just not possibe.

Your ideas will be appreciated

Sep 2019
Egypt
If you live in Egypt, I'd try to get to the site as I think a cursory inspection would clearly demonstrate the pyramids were not carved from natural rock formations. I'm not sure if the Great Pyramid is currently open to visitors but I've been inside it before. You can see that it was built from individual blocks by inspecting the interior, particularly the corridor from the outside as the entrance used today is not an original, finished construction. Rather, it was roughly hacked through the stone blocks and joins the original passages which are further inside. I'd also note the quarry evidence is quite substantial as much of the stone actually came from the site itself and you can see the cut faces of the quarries themselves if you care to have a look.

Yes I do live in Egypt and I do go see the Pyramid every couple of years . I am Egyptian , but not an Egyptologist .

I appreciate your point of view , and I dont have the answers to all your questions.

However it remaind important to state somewhere in these lines that building such a structure from the top down is much easier than from the bottom up.
If this hypothesis is true , then I think we ought to give it a chance and not write it off alltogether from the begining.

I am not imposing any view, and at the same time I think that building a pyramid from the bottom up is just not possible . I would think 4000 years is enough to know how they pulled these stones.
On the other hand , building it downwards (had the site been a mounteneous rock formation ) which I dont know , makes more sense ???

I dont believe that the main body the the pyramids is all stones on the top of stones. I think that the main body is mounteneous rock and was carved to a rectangular shape on each level going down . Each level was then covered with cube shaped stones carved to size from the same level of that particular level.
As to the chambers inside the pyramids these could easily have been carved !! as they carved many other temples in rocky mountains, and finished with layers of stones.

We need scholars and experts to explore the idea and fill in the details , as I cant work out all the details all by myself.

The main idea is : building a pyramid from the top down is more feasible than from bottom up.

your views will be appreciated

Todd Feinman

Ad Honorem
Oct 2013
Planet Nine, Oregon
Thank you for your reply.

If you walk around the pyramids you'll note that the ground all around it is pure hard rock of the same quality as the pyramids themselves . Which leads to my theory that this was all an elevated land or mountaineous rock which they started building (carving) from top to bottom .
Im sure you will agree that in theory this is way easier and more doable than pulling stones up the way .
I dont believe that the main body the the pyramids is all stones on the top of stones. I think that the main body is mounteneous rock and was carved to a rectangular shape on each level . Each level was then covered with cube shaped stones carved to size from the same level of that particular level.
The chambers inside the pyramids could easily have been carved !! as they carved many other temples and toombs in rocky mountains.

I dont have the answers to all the questions , but I am relying on the theory that building this structure from the top down is much simpler than from the bottom up.
I consider that building from the bottom up is just not possibe.

Your ideas will be appreciated
The problem is that the remains of pyramids constructed before the GP are not constructed that way, but with a built core, and fill and casing stones.

Corvidius

Ad Honorem
Jul 2017
Crows nest
There is also the tiny weeny little detail that if the pyramids had been cut out of living rock from the top down, where is all the countless billions of tons of spoil. There are massive issues with this just at Giza, but if the Sakkara pyramids were built from the top down, then we are looking at excavation work to lower all the land around the pyramids on a truely titanic scale that would be difficult to manage today.

Reactions: Todd Feinman
Sep 2019
Egypt
You are right. but it is not exactly a tiny weeny little detail . its a monumental detail.
However this is a surmountable weeny detail as compared to pulling these stone up the way.

Todd Feinman

Ad Honorem
Oct 2013
Planet Nine, Oregon
You are right. but it is not exactly a tiny weeny little detail . its a monumental detail.
However this is a surmountable weeny detail as compared to pulling these stone up the way.
I think they had to excavate a completely flat area for the pyramid from the Giza plateau bedrock --it is then just the same kind of stone as from the quarries, and that amount missing should account for most of the GP stones.