How to annoy the French

Linschoten

Ad Honoris
Aug 2010
Welsh Marches
We lost a trick when we had the London-Paris train come in at St Pancras rather than Waterloo.

Mar 2018
UK
I've always thought that a country's most revered military victory says a lot about who they fear most.

For the English, it's Agincourt and Waterloo. For the French its Austerlitz.

GogLais

Ad Honorem
Sep 2013
Wirral
We lost a trick when we had the London-Paris train come in at St Pancras rather than Waterloo.
According to a little book I read recently the French see Waterloo as a victory on the basis that Napoleon has a far greater legacy than Wellington does.

Linschoten

Ad Honoris
Aug 2010
Welsh Marches
According to a little book I read recently the French see Waterloo as a victory on the basis that Napoleon has a far greater legacy than Wellington does.
On those grounds he would have to be regarded as invincible, because he must have left a greater legacy than anyone whom he ever faced in battle.

GogLais

Ad Honorem
Sep 2013
Wirral
I've always thought that a country's most revered military victory says a lot about who they fear most.

For the English, it's Agincourt and Waterloo. For the French its Austerlitz.
I suppose HMS Alamein wasn't really a starter.

Sep 2013
France
Name your next Astute class hunter-killer HMS Agincourt.
Well... 100 years war being a french decisive victory and Jeanne D'arc being very popular here, I don't think most of the french, who don't know what Agincourt is (here it is name Azincourt, and only people fond of history know that battle) would be annoyed.

Waterloo is far more known, and would have been a better choice I guess (if the goal was primary to annoy your closest ally...)

Peter Graham

Ad Honorem
Jan 2014
Westmorland
Then you'll be pleased to know that when Eurostar first started, it did come in to Waterloo. It only got moved to St Pancras after they'd finished the much-needed revamp of a station so grotty that it made even the old Kings' Cross look like an earthly paradise.

Naomasa298

Forum Staff
Apr 2010
T'Republic of Yorkshire
Didn't we invite the French Navy to participate in the celebrations of the Battle of Trafalgar?