How to annoy the French

stevev

Ad Honorem
Apr 2017
Las Vegas, NV USA
Clearly Shakespeare did his best to minimize but didn't try to deny the English defeat in France.
Didn't Shakespeare blame Henry VI's French wife, Margaret of Anjou for much of England's loses in France? She largely controlled the King and took charge when he was incapacitated. She called a Council of State and didn't invite the Duke of York. This is said to have led to the Wars of the Roses.

Last edited:

GogLais

Ad Honorem
Sep 2013
Wirral
What is the point of this thread? Why is it even in this military history subforum? Probably belongs somewhere else, like the Lounge.
As the guilty party and as I've said before I think, I thought it was interesting that the Royal Navy has chosen to name a new warship after a victory over a close neighbour and ally. That's all that was behind it, if in response people choose to spend their time compiling great long lists of French victories then fine but my intent certainly wasn't to re-ignite the Hundred Years War.

Poly

Ad Honorem
Apr 2011
Georgia, USA
France just won the world cup, they are officially the greatest nation on Earth for the next 4 years.

It will be impossible to annoy them until 2022 at the earliest.

Jan 2012
French Kingdom
It would be so easy for the french army to name à boat "Formigny" (last and decisive battle of the 100 's years war, or "Bouvines" (where France defeated a joined army of the Holy Roman Empire and of England), or "Chesapeake".

But what would be the point except showing arrogance and even more stupidly, nostalgia for a supposedly glorious military past ?

Most frenchs when looking at their own history and relation with Britain see their neighbours as friends, they remember much more the tommies than the psychotic Henry Vth. Would they want to name a boat as a reference to Britain, they would name it "Churchill" probably.

Jan 2012
French Kingdom
BTW, it is very interesting to see that the thread named "how to annoy english" has been closed, while this one is still opened.

How are we supposed to interpret this, I wonder...

Larrey

Ad Honorem
Sep 2011
It would be so easy for the french army to name à boat "Formigny" (last and decisive battle of the 100 's years war, or "Bouvines" (where France defeated a joined army of the Holy Roman Empire and of England), or "Chesapeake".

But what would be the point except showing arrogance and even more stupidly, nostalgia for a supposedly glorious military past ?

Most frenchs when looking at their own history and relation with Britain see their neighbours as friends, they remember much more the tommies than the psychotic Henry Vth. Would they want to name a boat as a reference to Britain, they would name it "Churchill" probably.
Actually it seems France HAS named a number of ships after victories. Just not any victories over the British/English. Not sure if that might annoy them fellers?

Castiglione (Austria), Dixmude (Germany), Donauwörth (Austria), Eylau (Russia, Prussia), Fridland (Russia), Iena (Prussia), Jemmapes (Austria), Marengo (Austria), and Valmy (Prussia, Austria), at least.

Though there is the case of the HMS Northumberland, captured from the British in 1744. Not only did the French retain the name, they even built a new "Northumberland" in the 1790's. But then again, considering the French have a traditional ditty they sing about a FRENCH general called "Marlborough" going to war, I guess it's not entirely clear if they were aware Northumberland is actually in England? There might have been no intent. ;)

Otherwise the French seem to go mostly for traditional names from classical mythology, or various war-heros of their own for naming practices. :)

Oct 2016
Merryland
IIRC they named a ship after the Comte de Frontenac, an administrator in Canada who tried to build a New France empire in the woods. lack of support from Paris foiled him.

I think he was my favorite Frenchman. for the cool name if nothing else.

oops! this is a Canadian warship, not a French one.

Last edited: