How to find unbiased news?

Status
Closed
Sep 2016
India
Recently, I've become very conscious about the news that I consume. I suspect that I might be subconsciously looking for news articles that reinforce my preexisting views.
I understand that truly unbiased news does not exist as bias is inherent in all of us. Despite this, are there any news sources that can be relied upon to tell us the facts and put them into context without having an agenda? Also is it possible to neutralise bias by balancing news from different sources that are ideologically opposite?

Sent from my Redmi 5A using Tapatalk

Reactions: Valens
Jan 2019
Finland
Reading a wide variety of sources and being (or trying to be) aware of their biases is probably your best bet. Though balancing an extreme viewpoint with an opposite viewpoint of equal extremism is probably not useful.

Reactions: Zip
Jul 2017
Europe
There is no unbiased news. All mainstream media is having some sort of the political bias too. The so called independent media too, including internet websites and blogs, simply because they are all into it for profit, one way or another. Even the smallest and most independent news outlets or personal bloggers need money. The only way to get money is either by selling subscription services to readers or by offering their services to various political subjects.

In today’s world, everything is about the money. If there is no money involved, there is no interest in producing the news whatsoever.

The only thing one can do is to read between the lines and compare news stories to be able to draw conclusions that are rational and unbiased.

Reactions: Carl L Sanders

Chlodio

Forum Staff
Aug 2016
Dispargum
All news sources have bias' but there might be fewer bias' at non-profit organizations like National Public Radio or the BBC.

Reactions: Fiver

VHS

Ad Honorem
Dec 2015
Florania
There is no unbiased news. All mainstream media is having some sort of the political bias too. The so called independent media too, including internet websites and blogs, simply because they are all into it for profit, one way or another. Even the smallest and most independent news outlets or personal bloggers need money. The only way to get money is either by selling subscription services to readers or by offering their services to various political subjects.

In today’s world, everything is about the money. If there is no money involved, there is no interest in producing the news whatsoever.

The only thing one can do is to read between the lines and compare news stories to be able to draw conclusions that are rational and unbiased.
If you want unbiased truth, you may not have much luck with Homo sapiens sapiens; unfortunately, we don't have proven direct
contacts with extraterrestrials, either.

sparky

Ad Honorem
Jan 2017
Sydney

Dan Howard

Ad Honorem
Aug 2014
Australia
Australia's ABC is pretty unbiased. Our Tory government has lodged multiple complaints to the independent tribunal about perceived bias in certain stories and each time they could not prove their case. Apparently they can't tell the difference between "bias" and "public scrutiny". The only bias would be in which stories the ABC chooses to report on and which get ignored, but they need some kind of method to determine how to spend increasingly limited resources.

Last edited:
Mar 2019
Kansas
Recently, I've become very conscious about the news that I consume. I suspect that I might be subconsciously looking for news articles that reinforce my preexisting views.
I understand that truly unbiased news does not exist as bias is inherent in all of us. Despite this, are there any news sources that can be relied upon to tell us the facts and put them into context without having an agenda? Also is it possible to neutralise bias by balancing news from different sources that are ideologically opposite?

News outlets tend to be consistent in their reporting. So by finding stories you feel you are familiar with, see how a new service reports it, you can decide who seems closest to your line of thinking.

So - In the US there is a tradition that the sitting president will pardon a turkey as part of Thanksgiving festivities. How a news service reports this can be telling

One might say: The President stepped away delicate negotiations today waste time with a trivial Thanksgiving event. Perhaps if the President spent more time doing his job the country may not be facing so many issues.

Another might say: The president struck a strong blow for environmental issues by allowing a turkey to go free. This is yet another example of our forward thinking leader continuing to show strong leadership in these difficult time.

And a third might say: Today the president continued the tradition started by Ronald Reagan of pardoning the turkey donated for his use during Thanksgiving.

Reactions: Fiver
Sep 2016
India
Apparently they can't tell the difference between "bias" and "public scrutiny"
You raise a good point.
Do you think that journalists have a responsibility to always criticize the government (No matter who is in power)?
That is, should journalists give preference to bad news over good news (Highlighting the progress made by a government)?

Dan Howard

Ad Honorem
Aug 2014
Australia
A free press with strong whistleblower protection laws is the only way we have to hold powerful people to account. We don't need journalists telling us how wonderful our politicians are because the politicians do plenty of that themselves.

Status
Closed