How to teach kids what Islam is?

Oct 2016
Where the buffalos roam
Do you guys know of any books or websites that will explain Islam and make sense to kids?

I'm not muslim and neither are these kids (boys and a girl, about 10 to 12).

Something explaining who Mohammed was and what he did would be perfect, as stories seem to go down better than raw facts.

Thanks for your help.

Nov 2010
Indiana
Do you guys know of any books or websites that will explain Islam and make sense to kids?

Something explaining who Mohammed was and what he did would be perfect, as stories seem to go down better than raw facts.

Thanks for your help.
The best way would be to approach local Muslim leaders for advice.

Tulius

Ad Honorem
May 2016
Portugal
The best way would be to approach local Muslim leaders for advice.
Religious leaders are generally better to explain religion than to explain history. Religion is a matter of faith. History is a matter of knowledge.

I don’t have any knowledge of books in English about Islam for children. I also don’t know what those 10 and 12 years old children already learned in Scholl about the history of Islam. But in my opinion a more lay approach is preferable than a religious one.

What about asking to the history teacher about some bibliography? If he did is own homework, he certainly can give some advices.

Mar 2018
Central South Asia

Thanks for your help.
may i ask if your not a Muslim than why do you want to teach your children about Islam and Prophet Muhammad(PBUH) ?

Mar 2014
Lithuania
Still, I would refrain from purposely exposing my children to potentially dangerous believes, unless I share them. If I wanted to educate my children about important World religions, I would choose historical information, not religious one.

Tulius

Ad Honorem
May 2016
Portugal
If I wanted to educate my children about important World religions, I would choose historical information, not religious one.
With that I agree 100%.

I recall two parents of a student of mine that approached me in a reunion, stating that they didn’t want her son impaired since they didn’t believed in what I was teaching (the theme in question was evolution).

I just answered hat they didn’t need to believe, their son just needed to know about the theme to be evaluated. I didn’t evaluated the students by their faith but mostly by their knowledge.

Shtajerc

Ad Honorem
Jul 2014
Lower Styria, Slovenia
When I was about that age we talked about different religions in school as well, mostly the ones you can encounter in our country. So Catholicism, Evangelican and Orthodox Christianity and Islam as well. We had two muslims in class, so the teacher asked them to tell us something about their holidays, how they pray, what rules and directions the follow etc. Surprisingly or not they didn't know much, so it was mostly the teacher who informed us.

Similar History Discussions