How urban was Indus Valley civilization?

Mar 2019
KL
how many cities did it contain, how does urbanization compare with other bronze age civilizations like mesopotamia, egypt etc

i think that IVC may not be as urban as it is generally thought and given its vast expanse it seems that it contained very low number of urban cities, compared with mesopotamia especially, how urban was bronze age egypt?

according to IVC scholars it contained about six bigger cities and about a dozen small towns, rest of the sites are either manufacturing centres or villages. The bigger cities would be dholavira, mohenjo daro, harappa, rakhigarhi, Ganweriwala etc.

regards

Last edited:
Oct 2012
how many cities did it contain, how does urbanization compare with other bronze age civilizations like mesopotamia, egypt etc

i think that IVC may not be as urban as it is generally thought and given its vast expanse it seems that it contained very low number of urban cities, compared with mesopotamia especially, how urban was bronze age egypt?

according to IVC scholars it contained about six bigger cities and about a dozen small towns, rest of the sites are either manufacturing centres or villages. The bigger cities would be dholavira, mohenjo daro, harappa, rakhigarhi, Ganweriwala etc.

regards
Egypt was not very urban.

Oct 2015
India
Urban economy was sustained by the 'labour surplus' available from rest of the economy. Since agricultural productivity must have been similar across civilizations, the urban to rural ration would have been similar.

stevev

Ad Honorem
Apr 2017
Las Vegas, NV USA
What's the standard for "urban" ?. The earliest states were defined by the fact that they had any "cities" at all; ie concentrated development not directly devoted to agriculture. Sumer and later Greece might seem more "urban" but generally there was only one "city" in each state.

Last edited:
Oct 2015
India
There is some discussion on whether Harappan civilization consisted of city states or kingdoms (= city state plus the lands surrounding it).

My personal view is that Harappan civilization had city states as did the Mesopotamia in the BCEs. This view is challenged by the fact that there was some consistency across cities in Harappan civilization in terms of measures of weights, city planning, brick-sizes used in construction, and similar scripts on seals.

The rural areas around the city sold their agri & other products to the city in return of crafts from the city. City here refers to a fortified town.

Does this answer the question you raised?

Aupmanyav

Ad Honorem
Jun 2014
New Delhi, India
Mohanjodaro = 40,000 (My etymology is Moyan-jo-dero, Camp of the dead).
Harappa = 15,000 (probably Harayupiya of Vedas)
Lothal = 15,000
Dholavira = 54 acres
Rakhigarhi = Bigger than even Mohenjodaro (350 acres), largest town in IVC.
Wikipedia

Aatreya

Ad Honorem
Dec 2014
USA
Mohanjodaro = 40,000 (My etymology is Moyan-jo-dero, Camp of the dead).
Harappa = 15,000 (probably Harayupiya of Vedas)
Lothal = 15,000
Dholavira = 54 acres
Rakhigarhi = Bigger than even Mohenjodaro (350 acres), largest town in IVC.
Wikipedia
Harappa is a modern name, nothing to do with Hariyupiya.