How was Afghanistan really converted to Islam?

Aug 2013
Germany
Some say Arabs converted the area of Afghanistan to Islam, some make the Saffarids, Samanids and Ghaznavids responsible for the conversion of Afghanistan

Are they're actually any pre-Islamic cultural habits among Afghans? It's seems to me that they completely eradicated their Buddhist past

May 2016
Afghanistan
Afghans were mostly converted during the Ghaznavid period. However, there were a group of kafirs in the region of kafiristan (now known as nuristan).

Afghans have retained many pre-Islamic thing. Some include Nowruz (new year) and Attan (thousands of years old dance, originally performed around a fire).

Aug 2013
Germany
Afghans were mostly converted during the Ghaznavid period. However, there were a group of kafirs in the region of kafiristan (now known as nuristan).

Afghans have retained many pre-Islamic thing. Some include Nowruz (new year) and Attan (thousands of years old dance, originally performed around a fire).
I actually meant the area of modern Afghanistan not only Afghans

May 2009
Didn't the Samanids control modern Afghanistan before the Ghaznavids? Their center of power was close to Afghanistan in Samarkand. I would think conversions would've started then?

Last edited:
Aug 2013
Germany
Didn't the Samanids control modern Afghanistan before the Ghaznavids? Their center of power was close to Afghanistan in Samarkand. I would think conversions would've started then?
I researched a bit and its seems that the Kabul region and other major cities in Afghanistan like Balkh were already converted under Saffarids and Samanids. Ghor was defeinitely converted by Ghaznavids and Herat even earlier by Arabs.

May 2016
Afghanistan
Yes, but the Samanids would've only converted the major cities (Kabul and the like). However, the majority of the population was converted under the Ghaznavids.

Similar History Discussions