How was France's republicanism viewed by other European countries in the pre-WWI era?

Futurist

Ad Honoris
May 2014
SoCal
How was France's republicanism viewed by other European countries in the pre-World War I era?

I know that absolutist Tsarist Russia was willing to ally with France in spite of France's republican form of government, but I'm curious as to what people both in the government and in the press in both Russia and other European countries (such as Germany, Britain, Spain, Italy, and Austria-Hungary) thought about France's republican form of government. This topic interests me because France was such an anomaly in regards to this before 1910; before 1910, France and Switzerland were the only European countries (which weren't micro-states) which were republics. Thus, I am curious as to how people in the rest of Europe viewed France's and Switzerland's republican form of government in the pre-World War I era.

pugsville

Ad Honorem
Oct 2010
Well not really an Issue, constitutional monarchies where the parliaments had the power generally had no problem. Generally speaking the chatteirng classes and journalists looked upon republicanism favourably as part of the bagage of enlightment and of monarchs as a hang over for teh ancient rgeime that could be tolerated in they hadthe good sense to stay totally out of politics. In most nations the power resided with the same class of privilege regarded-less of the exact form of government.

The public opinion and the Press run the other way. In Britain and France enormous horror and distaste was brought forth against both Russia and Turkey
'

betgo

Ad Honorem
Jul 2011
I don't think anyone cared much. There were republics, constitutional monarchs, and absolute monarchs in WWI. As mentioned, things were sort of run by the elite or aristocracy everywhere regardless of the system. There were also Catholic, Protestant, Orthodox Christian and Muslim countries in WWI.

Once revolutionary France turned radical, the monarchies of Europe reacted hostily. However, France had been switching back and forth between monarchies and republics and no one seemed to care.

In some countries there were very mixed systems. Britain was sort of a monarchy and sort of a republic. Its established religion claimed to be Catholic and Protestant, but the king became Calvinist when he travelled into Scotland. There were various princes and parliaments in the overseas empire, but the king/emporer was head of state anyway,

Germany was sort of a constitutional monarchy and sort of an absolute monarchy. It included quasi independent states, and both Catholicism and Lutheranism were sort of established religions.

Jan 2010
Atlanta, Georgia USA
While I can't give you cite offhand, I believe that it was an issue at least at the courts of the monarchies of Europe. Not just that France was republican, but that it had resorted to arms to impose republicanism on the rest of Europe and maintain the infant US as a republican nation.

Rodger

Ad Honorem
Jun 2014
US
France appeared to be respected in Europe and elsewhere, excluding the maneuvering going on once the German Empire was formed. For example, the peace accord signed between the USA and Spain following the Spanish-American War took place in Paris.