How well is 濟 dynasty known in Chinese history as a descendant to Goguryeo?

I tried but couldn't find info on the 濟 dynasty in English. In Korean it's known as 제나라 (Je dynasty), and was founded when in 765 AD by Yi Jeong Gi 이정기 (李正己 ), a Goguryeo descendant and his Goguryeo refugee followers killed the governor and built a base in Shandong. He stated that he was not a Tang, but a Goguryeo person. His son Yi Nap 이납(李納 ) proclaimed an independent nation in 782 and became King. expanded great area of land, even threatening the Tang capital.

This was the early expansion of the dynasty, indicated by red arrows, as starting from the Yeongju area at the top where Goguryeo prisoners were held, and their landing in Shandong. Eventually they gathered enough strength, 100,000 soldiers, to threaten the capital Chang an, to the left.

And the full extent

The Je dynasty maintained independent ties to Silla and Balhae, became very wealthy thanks to intermediate trade. Later on Silla even sent 20,000 troops to aid the Tang in defeating the Je dynasy, in 819

Last edited:
Sep 2016
天下
I tried but couldn't find info on the 濟 dynasty in English.
齊 not 濟.

In Korean it's known as 제나라 (Je dynasty), and was founded when in 765 AD by Yi Jeong Gi 이정기 (李正己 ), a Goguryeo descendant and his Goguryeo refugee followers killed the governor and built a base in Shandong.
They didn't really kill the governor, 王玄志 died due to illness. They killed his son preventing him from succeeding the post in 759. The next governor 侯希逸 also wasn't killed, but was relieved of the post due to mutiny.

He stated that he was not a Tang, but a Goguryeo person.
It is noted in the historical sources that he was a Goguryeo person, but I don't think there's any quote recorded anywhere. Though I would be happy to be proven wrong.

Also the title of King of Qi was used by I Nap only during the span of 2 years, from 782 to 784. Neither before nor after that was the title used during the rule of I family.

Feb 2011
For most of Chinese history, to be considered an official dynasty the ruler must have taken the title of 帝 "emperor" and proclaimed his dynasty formally. Yi did neither, so he's considered a rebel warlord, not a dynasty.

Jun 2014
Earth
He was a military governor for the Tang of Goguryeo descent that unsuccessfully tried to barely rebel by diverting food supplies to the capital. He later died and his son was refused imperial succession. This is what started his rebellion against authority along with three other military governors. Upon their limited success each took a title of "Prince"; Li became Prince of Qi. The four princes actually submitted to asked another military governor, Li Xilie, to take the title of emperor.

Eventually they came off their high and all four apologized to the Tang Emperor when he asked, and renounced their titles. The honorary title "Prince of Longxiu" was created for Li and he was made military governor of Pinglu

Nothing about Goguryeo refugees setting up a base in Shandong and creating a kingdom and dynasty is true at all. Not at all. No aid from Shilla to the Tang to defeat Qi. This is ludicrous please stop it's embarrassing me just to read it and type about it.

Last edited:
He was a military governor for the Tang of Goguryeo descent that unsuccessfully tried to barely rebel by diverting food supplies to the capital. He later died and his son was refused imperial succession. This is what started his rebellion against authority along with three other military governors. Upon their limited success each took a title of "Prince"; Li became Prince of Qi. The four princes actually submitted to asked another military governor, Li Xilie, to take the title of emperor.

Eventually they came off their high and all four apologized to the Tang Emperor when he asked, and renounced their titles. The honorary title "Prince of Longxiu" was created for Li and he was made military governor of Pinglu

Nothing about Goguryeo refugees setting up a base in Shandong and creating a kingdom and dynasty is true at all. Not at all. No aid from Shilla to the Tang to defeat Qi. This is ludicrous please stop it's embarrassing me just to read it and type about it.

Thank you everyone for the insights. I wanted to know the side of the story not available to me in korean. Hence the post. Since this is not well known in english. But im confused by bananasinpajamas. Silla did aid Tang in squashing the Qi. In the Samguk Sagi it reads.
7월에 당 운주절도사 이사도가 반란을 일으키자, 헌종이 장차 토벌하고자 하여 조칙으로 양주절도사 조공을 보내와 우리 군사를 징발하였다. 왕이 칙지를 받들어 순천군장군 김웅원에게 명해 갑옷을 갖춘 군사 3만명을 거느리고 가서 돕게 하였다.(삼국사기 본기 헌덕왕 11년)
When Isado rebelled in september, King Hyunjong requested our troops. General Kim Woong Won was ordered to take 30,000 armored soldiers and help. (Samguksagi King Hyungdeok 11th year)

I also heard Balhae logistically supported the Qi in fighting the Tang. Qi apparently built their own palace and royal graves, and insisted on being considered equals to the Tang court.

Last edited:
Lets not get extreme here. We are discussing the Qi nation, not venting our frustrations over some niche history adventurists.
Im on board with what other people have said, that Yijeonggi was a warlord. Its interesting how they managed to get to Shandong, and march onto Chang An however.

Oct 2018
China
South Korea is our fragile neighbor. It is good at twisting history and creating history. Why do Koreans always love to tamper with history! Because China and Japan have history books, and South Korea does not, their history in Korea is like a blank paper.

Attachments

Similar History Discussions