How would Central Asia have developed without a Russian conquest?

macon

Ad Honorem
Aug 2015
Slovenia, EU
Yep. :(

BTW, when exactly did Kazakhs ask Russia for protection? Also, why were Dzungars a threat to them?
Dzungars were raiding all around them, also in Tibet's direction. Kazakhs were divided in three khanates or zhuzes and Dzungars exploited that weakness. I think that it happened sometime in middle of first half of 19th century. Almaty or former Alma Ata was a border pallisaded fort with cossack garrison.

macon

Ad Honorem
Aug 2015
Slovenia, EU
So, Central Asia was vulnerable from the north but not from the south?
I think that access is harder from the south (many mountain passes, mountain ranges, deserts, many choke points) but I'm not 100% sure. Distances are for sure great there and nomads as Mongols were to north of Central Asia.

Futurist

Ad Honoris
May 2014
SoCal
Dzungars were raiding all around them, also in Tibet's direction. Kazakhs were divided in three khanates or zhuzes and Dzungars exploited that weakness. I think that it happened sometime in middle of first half of 19th century. Almaty or former Alma Ata was a border pallisaded fort with cossack garrison.
I thought that the Dzungars were victims of genocide in the 18th century, though. Did they sufficiently recover in less than a century? I don't seem to recall many Dzungars still being in existence today.

macon

Ad Honorem
Aug 2015
Slovenia, EU
I thought that the Dzungars were victims of genocide in the 18th century, though. Did they sufficiently recover in less than a century? I don't seem to recall many Dzungars still being in existence today.
Yes, you are right, genocide was in 18th century and Dzungars a non entity after that. But I remember that Kazakhs were pressed by someone. I was not checking but only other possible candidate were Uyghurs.

Probably Uyghurs then. It is important that center of Kazakhs was Semirechye or Zhetysu in south east of today's Kazakhstan where Almaty lies. There was also their senior zhuz, most important of three with smallest territory. They were pressed there, not in west or north of Kazakhstan.

Similar History Discussions