How would, in place of WWI, a war between Austria-Hungary versus a coalition of Italy, Serbia, Montenegro, and Romania in the 1910s have turned out?

Futurist

Ad Honoris
May 2014
SoCal
How would, in place of WWI, a war between Austria-Hungary versus a coalition of Italy, Serbia, Montenegro, and Romania in the 1910s have turned out? Please assume that Germany will decide to stay out of this war in order to avoid Russo-French military intervention on Italy's, Serbia's, Montenegro's, and Romania's behalf.

Futurist

Ad Honoris
May 2014
SoCal
Also, I suppose that Bulgaria could enter this war on the Austro-Hungarian side due to Bulgaria having territorial claims against both Serbia and Romania.

stevev

Ad Honorem
Apr 2017
Las Vegas, NV USA
Also, I suppose that Bulgaria could enter this war on the Austro-Hungarian side due to Bulgaria having territorial claims against both Serbia and Romania.
I really don't know enough about AH's military capacity but tend to believe it was better than many say. It largely held its own against Italy and Russia in WWI so there's no reason for for me to think it couldn't at least hold its own against this combination, especially with Bulgaria as an ally. That said I don't think AH would try to conquer Serbia since that would likely bring Russia in against AH (1910). Transylvania was part of AH already so AH might want to partition Romania with Bulgaria.

Edit: I also think AH might want some Italian territory around Trieste to better secure access to the Mediterranean Sea via the Adriatic.

Last edited:

Futurist

Ad Honoris
May 2014
SoCal
I really don't know enough about AH's military capacity but tend to believe it was better than many say. It largely held its own against Italy and Russia in WWI so there's no reason for for me to think it couldn't at least hold its own against this combination, especially with Bulgaria as an ally. That said I don't think AH would try to conquer Serbia since that would likely bring Russia in against AH (1910). Transylvania was part of AH already so AH might want to partition Romania with Bulgaria.
Please keep in mind, though, that A-H might have only been able to defeat Serbia and hold out against Russia and Italy in WWI in real life due to German help.

stevev

Ad Honorem
Apr 2017
Las Vegas, NV USA
Please keep in mind, though, that A-H might have only been able to defeat Serbia and hold out against Russia and Italy in WWI in real life due to German help.
That's why I said "largely". The German offensive (1915?) overran a good part of northern Italy but before that I think AH and Italy were deadlocked in grim mountain fighting during the winter. At the same time AH was holding the the southern Eastern front against Russia. That's also another reason in the 1910 "what if" for AH to only contain Serbia. Your scenario could have touched off WWI in 1910.

Last edited:
Sep 2012
Bulgaria
Southern Dobruja was part of the Principality till 1908 / the Tzardom till the defeat of in the II Balkan War, when the region was ceded to Romania under the treaty of Bucharest in 1913. They called it Cadrilater, possibly because its territory looks like four sided polygon. So at this time 1910 Romania and Bulgaria have zero territorial disputes. Before the Balkan wars both Serbia and Bulgaria regarded the Ottomans their greatest enemy, so fighting each other before the partition on the Ottoman territories of the peninsula is highly unlikely.

Futurist

Ad Honoris
May 2014
SoCal
Southern Dobruja was part of the Principality till 1908 / the Tzardom till the defeat of in the II Balkan War, when the region was ceded to Romania under the Treaty of Bucharest (1913). They called it Cadrilater, possibly because its territory looks like four sided polygon. So at this time 1910 Romania and Bulgaria have zero territorial disputes. Before the Balkan wars both Serbia and Bulgaria regarded the Ottomans their greatest enemy, so fighting each other before the partition of the Ottoman territories of the peninsula is highly unlikely.
I said in the 1910s--not specifically in 1910.