How would Korea have developed over the last 70 years had North Korea managed to conquer South Korea in the early 1950s?

Futurist

Ad Honoris
May 2014
SoCal
How would Korea have developed over the last 70 years had North Korea managed to conquer South Korea in the early 1950s? Obviously South Korea would have been much, much poorer right now, but what would the effects of this have been on (North) Korea's nuclear weapons program and foreign policy? Would a united, Communist-led Korea have still built nuclear weapons and still made aggressive noises in its foreign policy while being extremely brutal, cruel, and repressive at home?

Also, how would Pyongyang have looked in this scenario? Would its population have been much smaller right now in this scenario due to it no longer being a capital city in this scenario?

Apr 2017
U.S.A.
Probably be pretty much the same. Having more territory wouldn't change the incompetent and backward economic policies of the Kim communist system. South Korea was originally poorer than the north, communism wouldn't help that much. The added resources may slow down the collapse but not by much. They would instead focus their military threats and buildups toward Japan and America, this is especially evident by the fact that in real life North Korea is hostile to Japan, as is (to a far lesser degree) South Korea.
If the unified communist Korea moved its capital, then yes, Pyongyang would be much smaller.

Sep 2016
天下
I wonder though whether Korea would be as militarised as North Korea is right now. Wouldn't Kims be more willing to get economy working at the expense of military, if there's no enemy forces on the peninsula?

Futurist

Ad Honoris
May 2014
SoCal
I wonder though whether Korea would be as militarised as North Korea is right now. Wouldn't Kims be more willing to get economy working at the expense of military, if there's no enemy forces on the peninsula?
Yeah, it's entirely possible that North Korea wouldn't have experienced a feeling of hyper-vulnerability if it wasn't for the presence of a larger, more powerful, and much more prosperous South Korea next door. I mean, what exactly would North Korea's raison d'etre be in real life? It's a total failure in comparison to the South, and if its people will ever find this out, they could become extremely displeased with the Kim regime for holding them back from reaching their full potential!

Jul 2016
USA
They're communists. How much do you think they'd get their economy working?

Communist always have enemy, its part of their ideology. Mostly they look internal. All those re-education camps and mass graves aren't filled with foreigners...

Similar History Discussions