- Jun 2012
1. Because of this forum and others, I know that the Maginot Line does extend to the English Channel in some fashion. However, only weak fortifications (gun emplacement, strong houses, etc.) were present in the Belgian border (most of Ardennes and Low Countries).
2. Most of the strong sectors of the original Maginot from 9 to 16 are already in curing in their historical places. You cannot demolish them, render them inoperable, or make them unusable in any reasonable fashion. You may, however, demolish other sectors of the original Strong Maginot and use the materials on your new extensions.
3. You traveled back in time with full knowledge but you cannot expose your true identification; in other words, you can only use the power of reasonable 'premonitions' when you are expressing yourselves.
4. Extending the strong Maginot to the sea is infeasible so your goal is to only extend the strong sector of the Maginot to cover a significant portion of the Ardennes.
5. You are given permission to build multiple Petite Ouvrages but only 3 additional Gros Ouvrages at the most.
How would you make the extension desirable to any political parties that would come to power in France?
Would you point out that the sacred site of Verdun needed protection?
Would you suggest that the Ardennes is perhaps a great site for extending the railway/building an airforce base and the bunkers there would provide good command centers?
How would you assuage the Belgians?
Would you point out that the Ardennes is relative uninhabited by the Belgians and that they apparently don't want to bother defending it anyways?
Finally, where would you place the 3 Gros Ouvrages in the Ardennes Sector and how would you parse out the troops throughout the line (keep in mind that the Germans may not attack the Ardennes after your enlightened influence)?