Huawei vs Apple: the new "Navigation Acts"?

Frank81

Ad Honorem
Feb 2010
Canary Islands-Spain
The competence between China and the US is scalating quickly in the economic sphere

Some people claim the reason behind Trump's decision is the inhability of US intelligence to enter into the codes used by Chinese technology

Others claim the real reason is an attempt of the US government to back American companies in a full scale economic war. In this case, it would be a kind of Navigation Acts conflict

Who would win this high tech struggle?

Tulius

Ad Honorem
May 2016
Portugal
If I would bet (I don’t), in the long term I would put my money on the Chinese. They have a huge population and the country growing rates are bigger than the ones in the USA.

And that is unfortunate, I say unfortunate because even if I am not a fan of many of the USA current and somewhat recent administrations (like Bush junior), the USA is still a democracy, while China… it isn’t.

Mar 2016
Antalya
If the decisions are economical in nature, why xiaomi is not targeted? They are not as big? I still think this is an economic war.

Banning companies or countries from using/buying various products forces them to produce whatever they need through other means, e.g., domestically or buying from a different supplier.

I do not think USA can hurt China in the long run. What China have is human resources to produce high tech, and USA can not address that problem.

Aug 2014
Australia
The only way China can win this is if the $US stops being the reserve currency. The US can sustain a much higher level of debt for much longer than China. Their banks are already starting to collapse. The state took over the first one on Friday. It is the first time it has had to directly intervene in three decades. If there is a run on the banks, China is screwed.

AlpinLuke

Ad Honoris
Oct 2011
Italy, Lago Maggiore
The competence between China and the US is scalating quickly in the economic sphere

Some people claim the reason behind Trump's decision is the inhability of US intelligence to enter into the codes used by Chinese technology

Others claim the real reason is an attempt of the US government to back American companies in a full scale economic war. In this case, it would be a kind of Navigation Acts conflict

Not to concern Chinese intelligence, I'm not to comment about the eventual capability [or not] of US intelligence to enter into Chinese codes [let's leave them with a doubt!].

Reality is that the matter is economical. The urban legend that NSA needs Win or Google or Android to control all the communications passing through the US is simply a fantasy. Let's not be naive. If an American citizen can receive a phone call from a Chinese guy using a Chinese hardware with a Chinese OS and Chinese software ... NSA will be able to intercept that communication. Period, end of history.

sparky

Ad Honorem
Jan 2017
Sydney
for Huawei to equip a large section of the world telecom would be a disater for the US intelligence community
now the NSA spook can listen on ALL the world communications up to Fraulein Merkel and any joe six-pack in Iowa

they have insisted in having back-doors on all the hardware and software of communication , PC , mobile , private and business

Huawei would make it impossible

As for the Chines spying they are splitting their ribs laughing ,
good intelligence is like fishing , one has to be quite clear what one want to catch
the NSA believe in sucking the sea-water and sorting out the stuff , then again they have an eye watering budget

Jul 2009
Huawei vs Apple. Hmmmmmmmm....

There have been recent articles in the media in regard to the all powerful smartphone. In general, they concern how the proliferation of smartphones has presented an opportunity for surveillance - either commercial or by authorities, and for espionage when hardware and/or software is corrupted. From a business standpoint, it might be that peoples' reaction to the smartphone may have reached a saturation point.

Attention spans have shortened, in many respects due to the Internet. The market for the smartphone may only be sustainable because people buy the newest, fanciest and most fashionable device without thinking too much about it. However, with the newer smartphones often having a price of $1,000 or more, the reaction may be to not replace a device as quickly...or maybe at all. Aside from the cost, we are already spied on by Alexa and Siri. Why compound the problem and pay for it as well?

In addition to the points above (and in addition to Dan Howard's comments in re China's long term financial house of cards), Many necessary components of these China manufactured phones come from the US. That would hurt American firms too, but the current US administration doesn't seem to care about US economic interests as much as it says. (US farmers do not seem to mind voting against their own interests and getting damaged because of it.)

A trade war that seems to be just beginning may collapse Huawei before the debt bubble in China bursts. The Chinese have been waging economic war for some time based on their theft of intellectual property and on espionage - stealing technology. Insolvent banks and collapsing tech firms may be the only way to "gig 'em."

Last edited:
Aug 2014
Australia
Credibility of american companies have taken nose dive after learning that america can use it's economic power as a tool of blackmail.
America has been doing that since the 19th century when Matthew Perry forced Japan to open its borders. Everyone uses military and economic power to bully smaller countries, not just the US.

Last edited:

Similar History Discussions