HUGE MEDIEVAL TREASURE FOUND IN DENMARK

Dec 2019
Poland
Archaeologist from the Vejle Casper Terp Hegsberg Museum discovered in the suburban forest a treasure of about 1,000 silver and copper coins of the Middle Ages, which became the largest treasure found in south-eastern Denmark.

link: [MOD EDIT: Link deleted]

Last edited by a moderator:

Linschoten

Ad Honoris
Aug 2010
Welsh Marches
Polish seems to translate better - or at least more coherently - into English by machine translation than any other language that I have come across (as I have been grateful to find in connection with some recent research). Here is the article thus translated:

"The discovery was reported by The History Blog. According to researchers, it will shed new light on the history of trade in this area. The treasure was found in an area where two coins were discovered two years ago. Searchers transferred them to the Vejle Museum. Archaeologist Casper Hegsberg decided to explore this area with a metal detector. He quickly found the first coin - it was at shallow depth. Then the detector began to signal over and over again, and Casper began to find coin after coin.

"Such a treasure can only be found once in my life, I think it will not be repeated in my career as an archeologist," says Hegsberg. "I thought I could only find a lost wallet with 20 coins on the road. As a result, I found hundreds of coins. " The find was so large that Hegsberg called for help from a friend. They also found fragments of ceramics and fabrics to which coins stuck. It turned out that the treasure was intentionally hidden. Someone wrapped the coins in a cloth, then put it in a clay pot and buried it.

By the way, about two hundred coins were found in the pot itself, and another 803 coins were found next door. Of these, 80 percent turned out to be silver, and the rest - copper. Most of the coins were minted in the city of Hanza in Germany around 1400. There are also several Danish coins, one of them has the date 1424. It is the youngest coin in the treasury. Apparently it was at this time that the treasures were hidden.

Scientists estimate that 600 cows could buy 10 cows for the money they found. This amount would be enough to feed the farmer's family for over a year.

In the first half of the fifteenth century, Eryk Pomorski ruled Denmark, between which there were significant conflicts between the Hanseatic cities of northern Germany. Some of them then evolved into full-scale wars.

Nevertheless, the Hanseatic League remained Denmark's main trading partner throughout its entire existence. This apparently explains the large number of German coins in the treasury."