Hugo Gutmann: What Happened?

May 2018
Michigan
The German LT who recommended Adolf Hitler for the Iron Cross. It seems he survived the Holocaust (likely due to his specific history), but otherwise fades at that point. It seems he emigrated to the USA and became known as Henry George Grant.

What is noticeably absent are any personal or professional comments Gutmann made regarding Hitler's ability as a soldier (aside from recommending him for an award) or any of his thoughts regarding Hitler's subsequent actions.

I suppose, after surviving World War I and escaping the Holocaust, he wanted to live in peace.

Reactions: Futurist

MG1962a

Ad Honorem
Mar 2019
Kansas
The German LT who recommended Adolf Hitler for the Iron Cross. It seems he survived the Holocaust (likely due to his specific history), but otherwise fades at that point. It seems he emigrated to the USA and became known as Henry George Grant.

What is noticeably absent are any personal or professional comments Gutmann made regarding Hitler's ability as a soldier (aside from recommending him for an award) or any of his thoughts regarding Hitler's subsequent actions.

I suppose, after surviving World War I and escaping the Holocaust, he wanted to live in peace.
Well he got out at just right time, just before WW2. Lived the rest of his life in the US if I Irecall correctly