Human History Examples:

May 2017
UK
Hi, im new to the forum hopefully i have named the post accordingly and not misled anyone and i have posted in the correct place.

The phrase "Chickens coming home to roost" (http://www.worldwidewords.org/qa/qa-chi4.htm) is the general topic as such for the post and i was wondering does anyone on here have a a set of examples where this has been the case through human history. obviously this has occurred many times but im looking for notable examples that could be used in a debate. (im only looking for the example i can research the events as such myself in detail).

please comment if i have broken any forum rules.
thank you
TFD

Aug 2012
Perhaps the French Revolution? It's true that neither Louis or his Queen were the monsters they were painted as, and both had genuine compassion for the poor - but, by that point, the French aristocracy had become completely divorced from the common people. They found themselves living in such a bubble that they were carried along by events, until it was too late for them.

David Vagamundo

Ad Honorem
Jan 2010
Atlanta, Georgia USA
Perhaps the French Revolution? It's true that neither Louis or his Queen were the monsters they were painted as, and both had genuine compassion for the poor - but, by that point, the French aristocracy had become completely divorced from the common people. They found themselves living in such a bubble that they were carried along by events, until it was too late for them.
Louis Philippe II, Duke or Orleans or "Philippe Egalite" is another good example of chickens coming home to roost.https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Louis_Philippe_II,_Duke_of_Orléans

stevev

Ad Honorem
Apr 2017
Las Vegas, NV USA
Perhaps the French Revolution? It's true that neither Louis or his Queen were the monsters they were painted as, and both had genuine compassion for the poor.
But didn't the Queen say "Qu'ils mangent du gâteau." (Let them eat cake.) Unless maybe she was offering the poor cake.

Lucius

Forum Staff
Jan 2007
Nebraska
"The lamps are going out all over Europe, we shall not see them lit again in our life-time", - British Foreign Secretary Sir Edward Grey in re the international scene in August 1914.

That was in regard to blackouts of Belgian and British cities to complicate the aerial bombing attacks on cities in Belgium and Britain.

Or was it?

MAGolding

Ad Honorem
Aug 2015
Chalfont, Pennsylvania
"The lamps are going out all over Europe, we shall not see them lit again in our life-time", - British Foreign Secretary Sir Edward Grey in re the international scene in August 1914.

That was in regard to blackouts of Belgian and British cities to complicate the aerial bombing attacks on cities in Belgium and Britain.

Or was it?
Or perhaps he meant metaphorical lights.