Humans as one of the great apes, why is it controversial?

VHS

Ad Honorem
Dec 2015
Florania
According to wikipedia, humans are one of the great apes, and the only one
that is not endangered:
Hominidae - Wikipedia

Then, even some paleoanthologists may disagree, and John Hawks is one of them:
John D. Hawks - Wikipedia

He wrote this a few years back:
Humans aren't monkeys. We aren't apes, either.

I admit this blog post is fairly confusing and convoluted; we have fewer problems with identifying
ourselves as primates or simians.

Yuval Noah Harari remarked in 21 Lessons for 21 Century:

“When I think of the mystery of existence, I prefer to use other words, so as to avoid confusion. And
unlike the God of the Islamic State and the Crusades--who cares a lot about names and above all about
His most holy name--the mystery of existence doesn't care an iota what names we apes give it.”

The French novel of La Planète des singes, which is better known for its movie adoption, even confuses
the matter more.

In Evolving Ourselves: How Unnatural Selection and Nonrandom Mutation Are Changing Life on Earth,
Juan Enriquez and steve Gullans suggested that within the human domain, we are driving evolution
of both humans, crops, pets, and livestock. We may call this "Human Selection"; as for great ape, it is
a controversial term so far.

Why is it controversial to call humans one of the great apes?
Is La Planète des singes scientifically improbable? If so, why?
Even Yuval Noah Harari's Sapiens: a Brief History is controversial due to his theory of cognitive revolution,
and can we seriously track what was revolutionary during the paleolithic era?

Dec 2015
Florania
  • VHS

VHS

Morons who think the Bible is a science textbook.
Please abstain from abusive language here:
They can be considered troglodytes who don't recognize current science, and in Richard Dawkins' God Delusion, such a person is mentioned
for running education in the UK.
We are treading in dangerous territories if we talk about the specialty of the human mind; then, Steven Pinker might have mentioned quite a bit
already as a cognitive scientist, even though he is an atheist as well.

Similar History Discussions