Hunger Games (Speculations Through Real History)

Oct 2014
California, USA
Ok, the Hunger Games Trilogy is science fiction, not history, but I think it might be fun to speculate about the cultural changes that might happen in Panem after the Hunger Games ended...bringing in real history when applicable. :

Some questions to ponder (tackle any of them you like)...

What happened in some other countries after an oppressive dictatorship was toppled, and how might Panem be different or the same based on what we know from the books about it's culture/history?

What would happen to the Capitol and it's people? I'm curious how that relates to ancient Rome? Rome was also a city FED by a vast area it controlled, much like the Capitol was fed by the districts...only the Capitol was like this in the extreme (as capitol citizens all seemed to live a privileged life, save for the Avoxes), while in Rome there were still quite a lot of poor people.

As people were free to move from district to district, how would the distinct cultures of the districts change? What type of Assimilation/Acculturation do you think would happen?

Religion seems to be totally absent from the Hunger Games. Considering how prevalent religion is now, how do you think that state of things came to be, and would religion return now that the districts have more freedom?

Just generally, how do you think the culture would have been affected long-term by the events we know about?

Last edited:
Oct 2014
California, USA
SPORTS - I've pondered over how organized sports would be seen in the districts after the Capitol fell. For their whole life the districts have had to watch their children fight in the Hunger Games, so I wonder if in some of the districts sports would have become seen as distasteful because of their connection to the "Games," and would have become almost non-existant. Even the word "game" would probably have a sinister connotation, which would reflect how people felt about playing them. Meanwhile, in the richer districts where "Careers" existed, organized sports were probably more popular, specifically because it would help prepare kids to one day fight for a spot as a Hunger Game participant.

When people from different districts start to move around, I can imagine sports loving kids from one district moving to another, where the sports they love are seen as distasteful. I can think of sports gradually gaining acceptance, such as how it was gradually more acceptable for women to take part in sports, or how things like "acting" which were once seen as unseemly gained acceptance in our culture. But I can also see where organizing teams would be very controversial...especially any organized competitions between districts.

Nov 2015
Ayton
O.K. I will talk knowingly about that which you have raised here if afterwards you promise to enter into various things from Discworld. THings like.. What happens when the tortoise farts. Or Which is faster, Clack or Train.

No. Sorry. I've read it again and still cannot understand it. The deal is off. I mean to say, there was someone writing about Martians on here the other day and Episcopalians, whatever kind of monsters they are! Give me 300 lines on Episcopalian Martians!

I suppose that if Cassius and Joe Frazier went for a fight when they were hungry, it would be 'The rumble in the Jungle'.

Yes. THis post is crap, but not meant to offend or belittle you. I save that for the Irish and the Scots, it gives them a reason to live.

Found it. The post is 'Why did the Martians sack the Middle East?' Easy! Because they were all running around blowing each other up and not getting any work done!' Martians are no push over. Look what they did with Mars Explorer Beagle 1. Took one look at it and put it through the crusher.
They said 'If we start accepting junk like that, they'll be sending us Chrysler Corvairs next!'

Last edited:
Oct 2014
California, USA
OK...this is the Speculative History section, right? I didn't accidentally post this in the "regular authoritative History" section? (CHECKING... NOPE).

So, Hunger Games is not History...I GET THAT. But we can use real history to inform speculations about fictional things (Authors do it all the time)...which is why after debating on whether to put this here or in the "Off Topic" section I put it here. If it's in the wrong section, you can just say that.

This was meant for people who had read Hunger Games or watched the movies and might want to use their knowledge of history to speculate on it. Of course you can't understand what I'm talking about if you haven't read Hunger Games or watched them, and I wouldn't expect you to comment...you are welcomed to just pass the post by (no one's making you join in).

The Hunger Games, while sci-fi, does allude to history (Roman History, War Propoganda, various things), and any fictional book can be speculated on using real history for comparison, so I didn't think it was totally off base to post this invitation for speculation on it here.

And If I'd watched Discword, I'm sure I'd love to do some speculation on it with you...but alas, haven't, so I'll pass too.

O.K. I will talk knowingly about that which you have raised here if afterwards you promise to enter into various things from Discworld. THings like.. What happens when the tortoise farts. Or Which is faster, Clack or Train.

No. Sorry. I've read it again and still cannot understand it. The deal is off. I mean to say, there was someone writing about Martians on here the other day and Episcopalians, whatever kind of monsters they are! Give me 300 lines on Episcopalian Martians!

I suppose that if Cassius and Joe Frazier went for a fight when they were hungry, it would be 'The rumble in the Jungle'.

Yes. THis post is crap, but not meant to offend or belittle you. I save that for the Irish and the Scots, it gives them a reason to live.

Found it. The post is 'Why did the Martians sack the Middle East?' Easy! Because they were all running around blowing each other up and not getting any work done!' Martians are no push over. Look what they did with Mars Explorer Beagle 1. Took one look at it and put it through the crusher.
They said 'If we start accepting junk like that, they'll be sending us Chrysler Corvairs next!'

Last edited:
Nov 2015
Ayton
OK...this is the Speculative History section, right? I didn't accidentally post this in the "regular authoritative History" section? (CHECKING... NOPE).

So, Hunger Games is not History...I GET THAT. But we can use real history to inform speculations about fictional things (Authors do it all the time)...which is why after debating on whether to put this here or in the "Off Topic" section I put it here. If it's in the wrong section, you can just say that.

This was meant for people who had read Hunger Games or watched the movies and might want to use their knowledge of history to speculate on it. Of course you can't understand what I'm talking about if you haven't read Hunger Games or watched them, and I wouldn't expect you to comment...you are welcomed to just pass the post by (no one's making you join in).

The Hunger Games, while sci-fi, does allude to history (Roman History, War Propoganda, various things), and any fictional book can be speculated on using real history for comparison, so I didn't think it was totally off base to post this invitation for speculation on it here.

And If I'd watched Discword, I'm sure I'd love to do some speculation on it with you...but alas, haven't, so I'll pass too.
THank you for your kind reply. Discworld is a place invented by an English writer Terry Pratchett, who died recently. HIs books are usually horribly funny and they have a vein of deep philosophy running through them which he never takes seriously. THere are always books scattered around my house, mainly 17th Century English History and Terry Pratchett for when the history doesn't hit the mark.

I hope you get some posters who respond and actually have an idea about playing a game that doesn't require a dice and some round counters.

Oct 2014
California, USA
THank you for your kind reply. Discworld is a place invented by an English writer Terry Pratchett, who died recently. HIs books are usually horribly funny and they have a vein of deep philosophy running through them which he never takes seriously. THere are always books scattered around my house, mainly 17th Century English History and Terry Pratchett for when the history doesn't hit the mark.

I hope you get some posters who respond and actually have an idea about playing a game that doesn't require a dice and some round counters.

Thanks. I may have to add Discworld to my reading list. It sounds interesting!

kazeuma

Ad Honorem
Jun 2012
Something horrid must have happened before the World of the Hunger Games - the books never elaborate on what happened to my satisfaction. Then after the evil dictatorship is over-with - then what? What do you do with a failed state? How do you maintain order? Toppling a government might seem fun at first - but the heroes in the novel or the movie had never considered what to do after they are successful. What do they do now with thousands of people that must be fed, what do they do with no state apparatus, what do they do to maintain law and order? In the end of trying to answer these question, the next leader will just be as much a tyrant as the previous one and likely would be a worse tyrant - example - Tsarist Russia was ruled by a tyrant for decades, what replaced him was just as tyrannical.

Oct 2014
California, USA
Something horrid must have happened before the World of the Hunger Games - the books never elaborate on what happened to my satisfaction. Then after the evil dictatorship is over-with - then what? What do you do with a failed state? How do you maintain order? Toppling a government might seem fun at first - but the heroes in the novel or the movie had never considered what to do after they are successful. What do they do now with thousands of people that must be fed, what do they do with no state apparatus, what do they do to maintain law and order? In the end of trying to answer these question, the next leader will just be as much a tyrant as the previous one and likely would be a worse tyrant - example - Tsarist Russia was ruled by a tyrant for decades, what replaced him was just as tyrannical.
I agree about the books not ever elaborating well on what happened to bring about Panem. Though I wonder if that's sort of on purpose...maybe to leave people with a feeling that the true history of what happened has been air-brushed and altered and lost to years of state propaganda.

While the books don't answer specifically about how the new government goes, it does leave us with the sense that things are better. We know who takes over for Coin, Snow...and from what we know of her leadership in the districts during the rebellion she doesn't seem the tyrant type. And the last scene seems to show that they've maintained some sort of order better than what came before.

Not all coups end in chaos...like when the military toppled Caligula and Claudius was put in power. He turned out to be a very good emperor (comparitively). Granted, they didn't change the whole system of government, just the leader...but a dictatorship toppled doesn't necessarily lead to something just as bad.

Last edited: