Hunting and fishing

Jan 2009
Tennessee
Any of you guys like to hunt or fish? I do. I like to fish with a group of friends. It is a big social event. I like to hunt alone in many times. I like to listen to the wind blow through the trees. I like to go to the lonely places and just enjoy nature. I see the darndest things up there sometimes.

I once spent some quality time with a huge hawk. It landed on a limb over my head, and we just kind of hung out for a while, enjoying each others company. He would look at me for a while, and then just go to watching the same field I was watching. He was an awesome bird.

I watched a herd of deer playing "tag" one early morning at dawn. Ive had a deer walk to within a few feet of me and lay down to bed. He didnt know I was there, wind was just right. I didnt offer to shoot it. I just took a nap right there beside him. A squirrel woke us both up, tossing down nut shrapnel on us and chattering up a storm. It was kind of funny.

You dont have to pull the trigger on an animal when hunting. But its no shame if you do. Sometimes nature requires we thin out the herd from time to time. Or not, just depends on the mood your in, I guess.

Efendi

Ad Honoris
Jul 2009
Anatolia
I would like to do all the things you do mentioned above related to hunting wilderness etc. I had many experience in the wilderness in a forest.

But never experienced seeing a deer, here most of them were hunted they are rather rare now.

I live by the sea i have opportunity to hunt sea creatures. Some time alone some time with my friends, It is real fun.

But hunting in lake or river is different, My dad can hunt them with his bare hand in the river. He has talent.

Jan 2008
Chile, Santiago
I love hunting its great. I love going out with the bow and killing as many deer as possible. That might sound cold hearted but its good fun. Its annoying though when I hit them and they don't go down and I have to chase them until they fall over and then put them out of their misery. Its more of my style to hide and get as many good placed shots on as many deer as humanly possible.

I have had them come close up to me but I don't give them the same credence you gave to that particular deer. I like the challenge of sneaking up on them and taking them out up close and personal with a log or something. It only takes one hard shot from the log or club or whatever to send a deer into convulsions. Though its quite annoying when you get blood splatter all over you and you walk into your house explaining why you look like you were just in a slasher film lol. It was surprising the first time I snuck up on one and hit it with a club. The blood hit me so fast in the face I was startled for a second I was like what the hell and then realized what it was.

Fishing has never my game though its fairly enjoyable when your with a lot of buddies and you bring some beer or something and its really hot and sunny out. Thats when its a good day. Not all alone and its cloudy out.

diddyriddick

Historum Emeritas
May 2009
A tiny hamlet in the Carolina Sandhills
Not as much any more. I used to be a big bird hunter, but haven't found the time for it in years. I fish in the spring/summer.

PADDYBOY

Historum Emeritas
Jan 2007
Scotland
I'm pretty much on the same wavlength as Richard here. I don't mind if my prey outwits me or just gets lucky. The kill may be the goal of the game, but there's a lot more to the game? than the kill. I just enjoy getting in touch with the real world from time to time.

PADDYBOY

Historum Emeritas
Jan 2007
Scotland
I have had them come close up to me but I don't give them the same credence you gave to that particular deer. I like the challenge of sneaking up on them and taking them out up close and personal with a log or something. It only takes one hard shot from the log or club or whatever to send a deer into convulsions. Though its quite annoying when you get blood splatter all over you and you walk into your house explaining why you look like you were just in a slasher film lol. It was surprising the first time I snuck up on one and hit it with a club. The blood hit me so fast in the face I was startled for a second I was like what the hell and then realized what it was.
Are you for real ? I once got flattened by a red deer doe and that was with two dogs helping me. :confused:

Jan 2008
Chile, Santiago
Are you for real ? I once got flattened by a red deer doe and that was with two dogs helping me. :confused:
Yup I am; I just stalked it for hours and finally got close enough to hit it with the crowbar I'd be carrying. It went down with one shot to the side of the head cause that is how I walked up on the said deer and then it fell and went into seizure or something and then I hit it like four more times with the crowbar and it was dead. Not to sound like a cold hearted guy or a jerk or something I just wanted to see if I could do it. It took a long time to actually accomplish. Like 4-6 hours and I finally got it. I mean I could have easily shot it with my bow. Though I did like what tigers do I waited for a weak one of the group to separate from the pack and be all unassuming. Then after hours I finally just walked really slowly and as quietly as possible so it wouldn't run towards it and from the side I got it. That part took like five seconds to actually accomplish though the whole ordeal took about the entire afternoon.

Another time though when I tried to do that it saw me and kicked me to the ground. It actually didn't hurt as much as I thought it would but it knocked me on my butt. It got me right in the stomach.

I'm pretty much on the same wavlength as Richard here. I don't mind if my prey outwits me or just gets lucky. The kill may be the goal of the game, but there's a lot more to the game? than the kill. I just enjoy getting in touch with the real world from time to time.
Yeah its not the entire thing. Its the thrill of playing God so to speak. I guess that just goes with the territory. Though I love it when I'm out hunting and the clouds are great and the wind is still and the sun isn't to bright and the clouds look amazing on some level it makes you realize how unimportant you really are and how beautiful the world is all at the same time. I love the look of the pinkish orangery clouds that stretch across the sky. I like sometimes just sitting in the back yard and staring at the clouds when they are like that and smoking tobacco.

Jan 2009
Tennessee
Yeah, the wilderness is part of it too. The cold clouds and frozen wind, pink skies at dawn, icy twigs. It does make one feel the primitive. And, I know what you mean about the pinkish, orangish clouds and the weak winter light in a wilderness setting. Seems like at a time like that, we are not far from our Dark Ages ancestors way of life.

Truthfully though, sometimes I just get in the mood not to kill an animal, but to count coup on it. I remember one particular deer I just scared half to death instead of killing. It was the opening day of bow season a few years ago. Either sex was permitted to hunt.

It was so funny. I was situated just right, and saw the deer walking my way before she saw me. I had traveled on thick pine needles to muffle my footsteps, had good scent control, and thus she had no clue I was there. I had my bow up, ready to loose an arrow . The doe didnt know I was there, on the ground just a few feet away in a bush. I had the deer cold. But it was just too easy, so I couldnt do it.

Instead, I just stood there and let the deer get right up on me. Then (camo from head to toe, face mask and all) I just made like a bigfoot and made a scary pose at her.

That deer looked at me, and for a second or three, she couldnt move. I imagine her seeing a walking bush with eyes was quite frightening to her. That deers eyes popped out, her mouth formed what seemed like a perfect "O", and she was just frozen in place.

Finally, she broke into a loud series of snorts and blowing, which is the equivalent of a human screaming. It was just like a woman running screaming through the woods. It was so hillarious. Ill never forget it.

But, in truth, I just couldnt kill a deer that was not on its guard. It was opening day, and thus she hadnt been hunted before, at least not for a year. So, I educated that deer, thus making her more survivable next time she encountered a hunter. But I guess I just felt sorry for her.

That happens to us hunters sometimes. We just decide the challenge isnt there, or we feel sorry for the animal at the time of descision, and so we let them live.

I guess thats what makes us human.

But, sometimes we must make the shot and harvest the animal. I try to do that as humanely as possible. I dont like to wound an animal so that it dies slowly. I usually wont take the shot unless I am sure that it is going to kill the animal as quickly and humanely as possible. Ive passed up on a lot of questionable shots over the years. But thats just my code I hunt by. My grandpa taught me that.

Last edited:
Feb 2009
Glasgow, UK
No way I could ever get a Shotgun or Firearms Certificate here in the UK so I have to content myself with a non-FAC air rifle for rabbits, squirrels, wood pigeons and corvids. Stalking is great fun though, you know you're doing reasonably well when you get birds landing in branches a couple of feet from your head.

Can't understand fishing - but that's just the diver in me, any stretch of water and I have to know what's under there. Staring at it for ages, not knowing, would drive me daft.

Nothing quite as satisfying as catching your own lobsters though. Scallops don't present as much of a challenge :D(except finding a good patch that hasn't already been picked clean)

PADDYBOY

Historum Emeritas
Jan 2007
Scotland
Yup I am; I just stalked it for hours and finally got close enough to hit it with the crowbar I'd be carrying. It went down with one shot to the side of the head cause that is how I walked up on the said deer and then it fell and went into seizure or something and then I hit it like four more times with the crowbar and it was dead. Not to sound like a cold hearted guy or a jerk or something I just wanted to see if I could do it. It took a long time to actually accomplish. Like 4-6 hours and I finally got it. I mean I could have easily shot it with my bow. Though I did like what tigers do I waited for a weak one of the group to separate from the pack and be all unassuming. Then after hours I finally just walked really slowly and as quietly as possible so it wouldn't run towards it and from the side I got it. That part took like five seconds to actually accomplish though the whole ordeal took about the entire afternoon.

Another time though when I tried to do that it saw me and kicked me to the ground. It actually didn't hurt as much as I thought it would but it knocked me on my butt. It got me right in the stomach.
Oh, I see. I thought you meant it was your chosen/preferred method of hunting deer.
The time I got flattened by a red deer (which are large) I ended up with a couple of busted ribs, which took months to heal.
I was actually out fishing and took a couple of dogs with me, on the offchance that I might get a rabbit or two, as well as some trout.
I heard a commotion from my dogs and went to investigate. I expected them to have caught a badger or fox and was completely surprised to find them mixing it with a deer. I couldn't figure out why the deer wasn't running away from them ? why was it standing ?? Anyways, I decided to shoo it away. A bit like Richards version of events, except the deer didn't run off screaming. It stood up on its hind legs and wacked me in the chest, and then took off in full flight.
It turned out, it was a semi-domesticated deer that had escaped from a near by sanctuary. It had no fear of humans or dogs.
I learned a lesson that day.