Hunting and fishing

PADDYBOY

Historum Emeritas
Jan 2007
Scotland
No way I could ever get a Shotgun or Firearms Certificate here in the UK so I have to content myself with a non-FAC air rifle for rabbits, squirrels, wood pigeons and corvids. Stalking is great fun though, you know you're doing reasonably well when you get birds landing in branches a couple of feet from your head.

Can't understand fishing - but that's just the diver in me, any stretch of water and I have to know what's under there. Staring at it for ages, not knowing, would drive me daft.

Nothing quite as satisfying as catching your own lobsters though. Scallops don't present as much of a challenge :D(except finding a good patch that hasn't already been picked clean)
I'm quite surprised at the number of people who go diving these days. It's become a very popular sport, here on the east coast.
In fact, we anglers are finding it more and more difficult to hire boats. :(
Most skippers prefer divers to anglers coz they pay more and they leave the boat much cleaner. (no fish guts lying everwhere)
I wish I'd taken the sport up when I was younger. It looks great fun.

Solidaire

Ad Honorem
Aug 2009
Athens, Greece
Can't understand fishing - but that's just the diver in me, any stretch of water and I have to know what's under there. Staring at it for ages, not knowing, would drive me daft.

Nothing quite as satisfying as catching your own lobsters though. Scallops don't present as much of a challenge :D(except finding a good patch that hasn't already been picked clean)
Same here. Exploring underwater is so exciting.
Ambushing fishes, or finding them hiding in crevices and under rocks is my kind of hunting.
Octopuses is a relatively easy catch - and quite delicious too.
Are you scuba-diving or free-diving?
How is the sea up there in England?
I always thought it would be cold and rather murky, compared to the Mediterranean at least.

PADDYBOY

Historum Emeritas
Jan 2007
Scotland
Octopuses is a relatively easy catch - and quite delicious too.
Did you know that octopi are very intelligent critters. Probably more intelligent than deer.
How do you kill them by the way ? I believe the traditional method is to bite their heads.

Solidaire

Ad Honorem
Aug 2009
Athens, Greece
I love going out with the bow and killing as many deer as possible. That might sound cold hearted but its good fun. Its annoying though when I hit them and they don't go down and I have to chase them until they fall over and then put them out of their misery.

I like the challenge of sneaking up on them and taking them out up close and personal with a log or something. It only takes one hard shot from the log or club or whatever to send a deer into convulsions. Though its quite annoying when you get blood splatter all over you and you walk into your house explaining why you look like you were just in a slasher film lol. It was surprising the first time I snuck up on one and hit it with a club. The blood hit me so fast in the face I was startled for a second I was like what the hell and then realized what it was.
I just stalked it for hours and finally got close enough to hit it with the crowbar I'd be carrying. It went down with one shot to the side of the head cause that is how I walked up on the said deer and then it fell and went into seizure or something and then I hit it like four more times with the crowbar and it was dead. Not to sound like a cold hearted guy or a jerk or something I just wanted to see if I could do it. It took a long time to actually accomplish. Like 4-6 hours and I finally got it. I mean I could have easily shot it with my bow. Then after hours I finally just walked really slowly and as quietly as possible so it wouldn't run towards it and from the side I got it. That part took like five seconds to actually accomplish though the whole ordeal took about the entire afternoon.
Do you actually enjoy all that splatter and gore? You've got me worried there.
Tell you the truth, after reading your descriptions, a cold, nauseating feeling crept inside my heart. I don't even want to read them again, ever.
I mean, killing animals for fun is debatable to say the least. I, personally, could never harm an animal (except fishes and molluscs). But to torment them and make them suffer, well... :(

PADDYBOY

Historum Emeritas
Jan 2007
Scotland
Sounds to me as though Rudy has made a clean kill, (in spite of the risk) which I don't have a problem with.
It's the guys who don't finish the job off, don't pursue the wounded to put them out of their misery or are just lousy shots, and shouldn't be there in the first place...that cheese me off.
Each to their own, I suppose.

Solidaire

Ad Honorem
Aug 2009
Athens, Greece
It only takes one hard shot from the log or club or whatever to send a deer into convulsions. Though its quite annoying when you get blood splatter all over you. The blood hit me so fast in the face I was startled for a second I was like what the hell and then realized what it was.
I just stalked it for hours and finally got close enough to hit it with the crowbar I'd be carrying. It went down with one shot to the side of the head cause that is how I walked up on the said deer and then it fell and went into seizure or something and then I hit it like four more times with the crowbar and it was dead.
Sounds to me as though Rudy has made a clean kill, (in spite of the risk) which I don't have a problem with.
It's the guys who don't finish the job off, don't pursue the wounded to put them out of their misery or are just lousy shots, and shouldn't be there in the first place...that cheese me off.
Each to their own, I suppose.
Convulsions? Seizure? Isn't that suffering? How clean a kill is this?
And blood splattering... Why all these gory details?

Solidaire

Ad Honorem
Aug 2009
Athens, Greece
Did you know that octopi are very intelligent critters. Probably more intelligent than deer.
How do you kill them by the way ? I believe the traditional method is to bite their heads.
Tell you the truth, I haven't caught an octopus for the last 5 years or so, ever since I read that they are indeed intelligent creatures.
I used to use a speargun, although they can be caught by the hand also, as long as they are not particularly big or tucked in their holes.
The method you mention, I never heard of before, although I think it's referring to their stomach; that is what the round thing is, it is not their head.