Hunting and fishing

Jan 2008
Chile, Santiago
deers!!

animals in the wild!!
I feel the same. People that enjoy the suffering and killing of animals must have some problems with theirs screws...

Anyways, I preffer animals winning... This is what all those masoquist animal abusers should suffer... :eek:

Efendi

Ad Honoris
Jul 2009
Anatolia
I feel the same. People that enjoy the suffering and killing of animals must have some problems with theirs screws...

Anyways, I preffer animals winning... This is what all those masoquist animal abusers should suffer... :eek:

Bull 1- 0 the Matador.

:D

Richard Stanbery

Ad Honorem
Jan 2009
Tennessee
"The suffering of animals"....quoted from a previous poster..

Well, in gest, we could talk about the suffering and killing of animals and the immature opinion that some people have in this regard. People who feel this way should immediately stop eating any and all sources of meat, or meat by products.

And, (most importantly) these people should also stop eating any and all vegetable products and by-products. The corn used to make that bowl of cheerios could have went to feed a hungry deer. Spit it out! Do it now!

Take all of your food (every last scrap) and drive to the country and leave it on the side of the road. Some animal will come tonight and eat it. You will feel good inside knowing that you gave your life to make a possum happy!

In all seriousness, as a farm boy, I know that wild meat is often a lot cleaner and healthier than what people buy in stores. And, I also know that animals killed by responsible hunters will usually suffer much less than animals killed in other ways.
http://www.goveg.com/factoryFarming.asp

I like to take deer with a .30 cal rifle. I like to see the animal grazing peacefully, shot in the vitals, and drop dead after only a few seconds of running. I find it is best to pass up on a shot that is not going to be lethal in as short an ammount of time as possible. Animals harvested in this way suffer much less than animals slaughtered in modern meat production houses.

BTW, that is one funny pic of the Bull and the matador!

Jan 2008
Chile, Santiago
No excuses. People that shot down a small bird could easily shot down a small girl.. It is the thirst for blood which is disgusting for many of us.

Richard Stanbery

Ad Honorem
Jan 2009
Tennessee
No excuses. People that shot down a small bird could easily shot down a small girl.. It is the thirst for blood which is disgusting for many of us.
Huh? This is like saying the same people who eat tacos with meat in them could easily pay an assasin to kill somebody. Just because they didnt kill the animal themselves dont mean that they as a consumer, didnt contribute to the death of an animal.

So, your statement is kind of silly.

As to shooting birds...hunters want to again make a clean kill. This is simple to understand, as a wounded bird will fly away and the hunter will loose the animal. Thus, we try to get the bird to die as quickly as possible, instantly if we can manage it. If you watch the video in the link that I posted in the previous post, you will see the tremendous suffering that modern birds suffer in the standard meat production facilities of today. Animals killed by hunters usually suffer far less. It isnt even close.

And thus, hunting animals is usually by far the most humane method of harvesting animals. I hate to see animals suffer. That is why I want to take them cleanly and instantly whenever I can. This is better for the animals, and consumers who care about animal suffering should try to see this.

PADDYBOY

Historum Emeritas
Jan 2007
Scotland
Tell you the truth, I haven't caught an octopus for the last 5 years or so, ever since I read that they are indeed intelligent creatures.
I used to use a speargun, although they can be caught by the hand also, as long as they are not particularly big or tucked in their holes.
The method you mention, I never heard of before, although I think it's referring to their stomach; that is what the round thing is, it is not their head.
Apparently, you bite them between the eyes, crushing their brain and when the flesh turns white, it's dead. Or so I'm told.

Jan 2008
Chile, Santiago
Huh? This is like saying the same people who eat tacos with meat in them could easily pay an assasin to kill somebody. .
Perhaps. The problem is that is disgunting to see people who enjoy killing animals, and even call it a sport. When are we going to have a peaceful world when people still glorify killing?

Even more, those people usually use the term "sport" for those activities. What chance has the poor animal to survive?

If you want to kill animals, better try bullfighting. At least the killers there are couragious, and not just carry an automathic rifle with a telescope on top-

Feb 2009
Glasgow, UK
I'm quite surprised at the number of people who go diving these days. It's become a very popular sport, here on the east coast.
In fact, we anglers are finding it more and more difficult to hire boats. :(
Most skippers prefer divers to anglers coz they pay more and they leave the boat much cleaner. (no fish guts lying everwhere)
I wish I'd taken the sport up when I was younger. It looks great fun.
I think divers tend to travel a bit further offshore (the longest outward passage I've had to a single dive-site was 8 hours, out to the Skerryvore rock past Tiree, to dive the wreck of the Labrador) which means we pay more. OTH we can be lots more trouble than anglers, especially if there's an incident like someone getting bent.

It is loads of fun, there's no age limit in diving, Cousteau used to call it 'the sport for active grandmothers':). It tends to involve a lot of hurrying up and waiting so there's not always a lot of effort involved - some boats even have lifts to scoop you from the sea nowadays!

Feb 2009
Glasgow, UK
Same here. Exploring underwater is so exciting.
Ambushing fishes, or finding them hiding in crevices and under rocks is my kind of hunting.
Octopuses is a relatively easy catch - and quite delicious too.
Are you scuba-diving or free-diving?
How is the sea up there in England?
I always thought it would be cold and rather murky, compared to the Mediterranean at least.
I thought you turned octopus inside out to kill them? We don't see many round here and since they're smarter than the average dog or cat we tend to leave them alone.

I'm on open-circuit scuba. I couldn't tell you about diving in England, mainly 'cos I'm in Scotland;).

Water temp varies between around 6c in winter up to about 12c in summer, drysuits make all the difference.

Here's an example of fairly typical visibility, that's me in the vid.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u4KbnPYALps&feature=related"]YouTube - The Akka[/ame]

Richard Stanbery

Ad Honorem
Jan 2009
Tennessee
Perhaps. The problem is that is disgunting to see people who enjoy killing animals, and even call it a sport. When are we going to have a peaceful world when people still glorify killing?

Even more, those people usually use the term "sport" for those activities. What chance has the poor animal to survive?

If you want to kill animals, better try bullfighting. At least the killers there are couragious, and not just carry an automathic rifle with a telescope on top-
I dont use an automatic rifle to hunt with. That is silly. An automatic rifle is not a good hunting weapon. I shoot one bullet at a time with a bolt action rifle, just like was common 100 years ago. (Look at my avatar).

An automatic rifle would be almost useless as a hunting weapon. You cant hit anything with one. I dont have one, nor do I want one. I wouldnt use it if I did have one, as it would make the animals suffer more with poorly placed bullets. I would rather hunt with a bow and arrow (which I also use sometimes).

Actually, I really enjoy bow hunting more, as it is more challenging, and the weather in bow season is nicer and warmer. A bow and arrow really is a very effective hunting tool. Hunters here in Tennessee even hunt bears with bows, and kill them rather quickly. Dont knock bow hunting until you try it. It might be an ancient weapon, but it is still really effective.

I would much rather use a bow than an old fashioned arquebus. I cannot understand why the Spanish even carried the arquebus to conquere the New World. A bow is a much better weapon than an arquebus.

As to bull fighting, now that is extreme animal cruelty. A deer (or bull) shot by a good hunter from a well placed bullet is going to die rather quickly and suffer less. A bull sliced alive for "sport" in front of thousands of spectator is going to suffer so much more exponentially. It will take far longer to die, and suffer much more psychological truama than an animal killed in the woods by an ethical hunter.

Automatic rifles?...how silly.