Hunting and fishing

diddyriddick

Historum Emeritas
May 2009
A tiny hamlet in the Carolina Sandhills
Can't understand fishing - but that's just the diver in me, any stretch of water and I have to know what's under there. Staring at it for ages, not knowing, would drive me daft.

Nothing quite as satisfying as catching your own lobsters though. Scallops don't present as much of a challenge :D(except finding a good patch that hasn't already been picked clean)
I do both. I can't squeeze in a dive between cutting the grass and dinner. I can make a short trip to my local pond. And since I catch and release, it is relatively clean.

Feb 2009
Glasgow, UK
Huh? This is like saying the same people who eat tacos with meat in them could easily pay an assasin to kill somebody. Just because they didnt kill the animal themselves dont mean that they as a consumer, didnt contribute to the death of an animal.

So, your statement is kind of silly.

As to shooting birds...hunters want to again make a clean kill. This is simple to understand, as a wounded bird will fly away and the hunter will loose the animal. Thus, we try to get the bird to die as quickly as possible, instantly if we can manage it. If you watch the video in the link that I posted in the previous post, you will see the tremendous suffering that modern birds suffer in the standard meat production facilities of today. Animals killed by hunters usually suffer far less. It isnt even close.

And thus, hunting animals is usually by far the most humane method of harvesting animals. I hate to see animals suffer. That is why I want to take them cleanly and instantly whenever I can. This is better for the animals, and consumers who care about animal suffering should try to see this.
I agree and I would add that hunters are selective.

For example, spearfishing takes only what the hunter will consume, unlike trawlers which scoop up everything and, in the EU if it isn't on the boat's quota, it gets dumped over the side as bycatch. What a waste. If we ate beef that was 'harvested' by dragging nets through fields and forests from a helicopter, discarding everything that wasn't a cow, we'd be celebrating hunters as the 'eco-friendly' and 'humane' alternative.

In addition, when I lift scallops I don't damage the seabed unlike scallop dredgers which leave a desolate 'ploughed field' effect that takes decades to recover. Please only buy 'diver recovered' scallops.

My favourite meal is my version of 'surf and turf'. Scallops followed by lobster and fresh wood-pigeon. Nothing like eating what you've shot, caught and lifted yourself.

Finally, because I'm limited in what weapons I can shoot I have to go for a head shot every time. If I can't guarantee that then I don't shoot. A head shot will kill the quarry instantly. I'm not certain that I necessarily approve of bow hunting (completely illegal here in the UK) or hunting with a pistol or simply sneaking up and bashing in the quarry's head with a club because they don't necessarily ensure an instantaneous kill, but I'm willing to be corrected.

diddyriddick

Historum Emeritas
May 2009
A tiny hamlet in the Carolina Sandhills
I feel the same. People that enjoy the suffering and killing of animals must have some problems with theirs screws...

Anyways, I preffer animals winning... This is what all those masoquist animal abusers should suffer... :eek:
Are you a vegetarian, Pingy? If not, then you have no room to preach.

And for the record, a sadist inflicts pain on others, a masochist inflicts pain on themselves. Your "masoquist" animal abusers should be "sadist" animal abusers.

Jan 2008
Chile, Santiago
Are you a vegetarian, Pingy? If not, then you have no room to preach.

And for the record, a sadist inflicts pain on others, a masochist inflicts pain on themselves. Your "masoquist" animal abusers should be "sadist" animal abusers.
See the picture I put before. Then you will understand.:D

Jan 2008
Chile, Santiago
I turkey hunt with shotgun, deer hunt with bow or rifle, elk hunt with rifle.

And of course fishing is fun also, I use a fishing pole for that (ik, gasp)

Jan 2009
Tennessee
Hickdiver...bow hunting illegal in the UK?
Now thats a shame. The culture that gave us Americans the tradition of archery hunting was in part inspired by the Native American archery hunters, and of course the English longbow of yore. What would Robin Hood think of that?

Archery hunting really is just as effective as a gun. The only difference is the effectiveness of the range of the weapon. But as far as effectiveness of archery, I find that within the range limitations of a bow, they are sometimes more effective than a gun. Sometimes one can actually put down a deer or even a bear quicker with an arrow.

I do a lot more hunting with a bow than I do with a gun. I use a crossbow, which is legal in Tennessee, and it shoots much like a rifle.

Some folks here even in America hunt with a spear, for wild boar especially. But I never have. But, just because a weapon like a bow is primitive doesnt mean ineffective.

What kind of weapons are you allowed to use in the UK?

PADDYBOY

Historum Emeritas
Jan 2007
Scotland
It is loads of fun, there's no age limit in diving, Cousteau used to call it 'the sport for active grandmothers':). It tends to involve a lot of hurrying up and waiting so there's not always a lot of effort involved - some boats even have lifts to scoop you from the sea nowadays!
I'll give it a bit more thought, Hickdive. It certainly sounds like a sport I would take to.
Yeah. I've seen the boats with the lifts. There's two or three of them at Eyemouth and they're the boats, we anglers can't afford. :D

Feb 2009
Glasgow, UK
What kind of weapons are you allowed to use in the UK?
You can get shotguns or rifles, both require you to have a certificate issued by the local police force, quite an involved process involving referees, interviews, background checks, doctor's reports and home visits to examine your secure firearms storage.

You also have to have a legitimate reason for owning the firearm - that means you effectively have to arrange a suitable shooting/hunting ground before you apply (you might well pay hundreds of pounds for deer rights over a piece of land and then be turned down for the certificate or the police might decide that the ground you have a shooting right over is unsuitable and turn down your certificate).

Shotguns can be single or double barrel, pump actions are limited to three cartridges. Rifles must be bolt-action, no automatic or semi-automatics. Handguns are banned outright.

Alternatively, if you're over 18, you can own air-rifles with a muzzle energy of less than 12ft/lbs or air-pistols with a muzzle energy of less than 8 ft/lbs, without any licence. But, as with firearms, you can only shoot over ground you have the owner's permission to do so. You can only shoot species that you either have purchased shooting rights to or are on the Open General Licence.

All weapons can only be sold face-to-face, there's no mail order.

Hunting with bows or crossbows is completely illegal.

Breaching the Firearms Acts carries severe penalties, normally a minimum of five years imprisonment regardless of what you've done or the absence of criminal intent.

Jan 2009
Tennessee
Thats some pretty tough law. But, hey, you can still do good hunting with an air rifle. Im thinking of getting myself one. They are just the things for squirrels and would probably kill a rabbit?

Funny how a person can own a shotgum or a bolt action rifle in England, but not a bow? I just love my crossbow. If you ever get the chance to shoot one, youll know why. Thats why I said that I cannot understand why the Spanish brought the arquebus to the Americas when the bow or crossbow is a better choice. Theres just something kind of mideaval about hunting with a crossbow.

I wonder what the rest of Europe is like where hunting is concerned? There are some really nice wild boar in Germany that just beg to be hunted.Surely the German lads are getting into the woods after the boar.