Hunting and fishing

Jan 2009
Tennessee
Richard, is that done on horseback?
I know, its crazy. I agree. I would post a link to it, but it is kinda graphic. You can see it on youtube though. They even have a video of modern Africans using spears to kill a full grown Cape Buffalo. But I dont reccomend it. Not a clean and quick enough thing to suit me.

You know, it is amazing how many hunters are still using old World War One era guns to hunt deer and bear with. My first deer season, I used an old M1903 Springfield ( I got buck fever and missed). But it wasnt the guns fault. It did what it was supposed to do.

I know a guy that hunted for years with an old 8mm Mauser German military rifle. He kiiled his share of deer with it. I cannot count how many guys still use old British Enfields and 1903 Springfields or Mosin Nagant 91-30s. I know a fellow that had an old Enfield dated 1916, and he killed deer with it too. Even though these guns are approaching the 100 year old mark, they still do the job.

As far as a military weapon, they are way past obsolete and useless. For a deer hunter though, they still work just fine.

Lucius

Forum Staff
Jan 2007
Nebraska
I know, its crazy. I agree.
Indeed. In his memoir, Adrian Carton de Wiart tells of "riding pig" as a young officer in India. The boar would always head for a ravine full of thick undergrowth. Spills and broken bones were frequent(and Carton de Wiart was doing it with only one eye). It was pretty rough on the horses too.

That Luther movie had Pope Leo X riding pig.

But you're talking about hunting on foot, right? not chasing them down on horseback?

Jan 2009
Tennessee
Yeah, the guys in the videos were on foot. There were even some fellows in Texas on foot killing boar with an Atlatl.
Some folks are even crazier than me, it would seem. That is hard to believe.

I imagine that "riding pig" like that would be a real test of manhood.

Or, the plains Indians of yore riding at full gallop alongside a 3000 Buffallo, (or a whole herd of thousands of them) and shooting it down with a bow and arrow, or even a lance, would be kind of exciting too.

Feb 2009
Glasgow, UK
Thats some pretty tough law. But, hey, you can still do good hunting with an air rifle. Im thinking of getting myself one. They are just the things for squirrels and would probably kill a rabbit?
A sub 12ft/lb air rifle will kill a rabbit quite easily, provided it is a headshot.

Funny how a person can own a shotgum or a bolt action rifle in England, but not a bow?
You can own bows and crossbows, they require no licence at all, you just can't hunt with them - target shooting only.

Jan 2009
Tennessee
Oh, thats a little better, about the bows. They are sure sweet to use.
When you mentioned bolt action rifles, did that mean old WWI era surplus guns? We use a lot of them here, like the Enfield 303s.

Of course, I strongly recomend that anyone buying one take it to a certified gunsmith (not some guy that "knows about guns") and get the gunsmith to thouroughly check it out before the first shooting of it. Some of the old guns can be very dangerous. But, if the gunsmith oks it, then these guns are fine to shoot with.

Of course, one should keep the ranges down when hunting. The old guns probably are not going to group better than 4 or 5 inches at 100 yards, unless they get a rebuild from a gunsmith. But, by closing the hunting distances to something like 100 yards, a hunter can compensate for this.

Headpsace issues and the use of corrosive primers that eats out the barrels (Britain and Russia especially) are some of the most common problems that one is likely to find with the antique guns. But, for what they are, they can still hunt and shoot ok.

You know, talking about air rifles, one of my hunting buddies and I are talking about buying some air rifles and starting to hunt with them. What kind of ranges can one kill a rabbit or say, groundhog with one? An air rifle would give a hunter a real advantage in the woods, as the noise issue would tend to not alarm the animals in the woods so much like a shotgun or rifle would.

Feb 2009
Glasgow, UK
You know, talking about air rifles, one of my hunting buddies and I are talking about buying some air rifles and starting to hunt with them. What kind of ranges can one kill a rabbit or say, groundhog with one? An air rifle would give a hunter a real advantage in the woods, as the noise issue would tend to not alarm the animals in the woods so much like a shotgun or rifle would.
Unlike me, you'll probably be able to get air rifles above 12ft/lbs muzzle energy. A .22 or .177 below that will kill a bunny out to about 40yds but typical hunting ranges are shorter, maybe 25-35 yards. A rifle with >12ft/lbs will kill a lot further out but its difficult to be specific because I don't know how far above that muzzle energy you would plan to go. You can get air weapons that will kill a buffalo:eek: !

You're right about them being quiet. A pre-charged pneumatic air rifle with a sound moderator makes a click that can't really be heard by the quarry 25+ yards out. Springers are a bit louder because of the mechanical noise of the spring and piston, gas-rams lie somewhere in between.

Jan 2009
Tennessee
Unlike me, you'll probably be able to get air rifles above 12ft/lbs muzzle energy. A .22 or .177 below that will kill a bunny out to about 40yds but typical hunting ranges are shorter, maybe 25-35 yards. A rifle with >12ft/lbs will kill a lot further out but its difficult to be specific because I don't know how far above that muzzle energy you would plan to go. You can get air weapons that will kill a buffalo:eek: !

You're right about them being quiet. A pre-charged pneumatic air rifle with a sound moderator makes a click that can't really be heard by the quarry 25+ yards out. Springers are a bit louder because of the mechanical noise of the spring and piston, gas-rams lie somewhere in between.
I remember once when I was a kid, I borrowed my uncles pump up air rifle. He gave me the standard safety lecture and bade me not to pump it more than 10 times. I nodded solemnly, and went to the field as soon as he gave it to my hands.

Once over the hill and out of sight, I pumped it up till it wouldnt pump anymore, which was about 47 times! I couldnt get it to pump any more than that. I shot a frog on a pond with it, and blew the thing way up in the air. I shot a burn barrell, which was a 55 gallon steel drum, and honestly the pellet went through one side of it.I shot a lot of stuff with that air rifle pumped way up like that.It was kind of like a .22 rifle.

I didnt realize how dangerous that was. But, I was only 10 or 12 at the time, so I just didnt worry about it. I think now that air rifles have some sort of cut off system that wont allow them to do this? I dont know. But I wouldnt have had any trouble killing rabbits with that air rifle. They can be a lot of fun.

Us boys in the area used to make our own bows and arrows. They were not much, but they would kill a rabbit or a snake or whatever we could find. I guess they were kind of crappy things by real hunting standards, but they worked good enough for us, kids 8 or 9 years old. We made the arrow heads out of nails or whatever we could find to tape to a stick or a dow. Sometimes we would save our money and buy a real practice arrow and hunt with that. We could actually get some pretty good range out of them. We hunted all the time with those things. We often made our own fishing poles too and dug worms wherever we could find them. We caught some fish like that. I guess if there is a will, there is a way.

I guess its a good thing I didnt run up on a bear. I didnt worry about stuff like that back then. I was just so thrilled to have something to shoot, that I pretty much just ran the mountains like a wildman. It all worked out though. Young boys sure do find ways to get into stuff, dont they?

Last edited:
Feb 2009
Glasgow, UK
Young boys sure do find ways to get into stuff, dont they?
They certainly do. Or maybe that's did? Nowadays kids either aren't allowed out or don't want to head out, too busy with technology (says the hypocrite typing at his laptop) like games consoles.

Whenever the weather is nice (not very often round here) I'll virtually kick my lads out of the house and let them find adventure. My heart is always in my mouth wondering where they are but my head tells me that, statistically, there's more chance of them dying of heart disease or obesity in later life from developing sedentary habits as a child than coming to real harm roaming the woods, fields and streets in our neighbourhood, doesn't make it any easier though.

When I was last in the US we all went to a gun range and the instructor was impressed by the safety-conscious good behaviour the older two showed but he was completely knocked out by my then two-year-old; who actually fell asleep on the gun line with his little ear and eye protectors on whilst we all blazed away at targets:D

Jan 2009
Tennessee
Yeah, kids can do stuff like that.
There are three things that boys cannot resist; a home-made bow and arrow set, a new puppy, or a pack of firecrackers.

Course, youre right. Kids today are kept in the house too much. Too much time on thier hands playing computer games and watching trash shows on cable TV. Technology does not always mean progress.

But, if kids dont live near the woods, then there are usually fishing holes somewhere nearby. There is always fishing.

Jan 2009
Tennessee
Well, today was the start of rifle season in Tennessee for deer. I didnt kill any deer, but I saw a young buck and a herd of does. The young buck was a pretty little fellow. I hung out with him for a good half hour or so, 40 yards away. I watched 12 wild turkeys feeding a few feet in front of me, heard coyotes howling on the other side of the hill, saw squirrels, game birds, crowes and even some hawks.

I saw all kinds of animals and experienced nature to the fullest without firing my rifle. But I dont feel bad about it.
I talked to a fellow hunter who saw two black panthers (big cats) about a mile and a half from where I was hunting. Found a dead fox in the woods, dont know what killed it. It has been dead a few days. Its just another mystery of the forrest. But thats part of it.

Overall I had a good day.

I feel fortunate to have experienced the wild side of the mountains. I love going up there and being part of it. I guess that I kind of belong up there with the wild things. I rekon Ill keep going up there, hunting the lonely places until the day they lay me down.