Hurricane Matthew? Disasters that get into history books?

VHS

Ad Honorem
Dec 2015
Florania
I don't know if major storms are written into history that often.....
The Americans remember Hurricane Katrina.
Hurricane Matthew wrecks havocs all over the Caribbean region.
I remember the record for the Shaanxi Earthquake (or Jiajing earthquake of 1556) was the deadliest earthquake in history, which caused 800,000 to 830,000 casualties.

Scaeva

Ad Honorem
Oct 2012
The 2004 Indian Ocean earthquake & tsunami that killed 240,000 to 280,000. It was the fourth deadliest natural disaster since 1900.

#1 is the 1931 China floods, where the death toll may have been as high as 3 to 4 million.

tornada

Ad Honoris
Mar 2013
India
For the Americans, its my understanding that incidents such as the 1906 San Francisco Earthquake are part of popular history. I suspect they are also covered in some way in academic history (ie in classrooms and such like). Whether natural disasters in other parts of the world are remembered would depend on the magnitude of the disaster I think. Certainly, events like the Tsunami and Earthquake which caused the Fukushima disaster are well known due to their long term impact on Nuclear policies across the world.

AlpinLuke

Forum Staff
Oct 2011
Italy, Lago Maggiore
Overall Matthew has hit Haiti, a not lucky isle, to say the least, since it's not a long time that it suffered for a tremendous earthquake.

As for the eventual historical value of a hurricane in that region of the planet, usually they remain statistical data: every year there is a hurricane season and it can happen that one is particularly strong and it causes a wide devastation.

Wenge

Ad Honoris
Apr 2011
Virginia
I don't know if major storms are written into history that often.....
The Americans remember Hurricane Katrina.
Hurricane Matthew wrecks havocs all over the Caribbean region.
I remember the record for the Shaanxi Earthquake (or Jiajing earthquake of 1556) was the deadliest earthquake in history, which caused 800,000 to 830,000 casualties.
Hurricane Donna (1963) and hurricane Camille (1968) were more devastating than Katrina. Katrina is well known because she devastated one important city.

Pedro

Forum Staff
Mar 2008
On a mountain top in Costa Rica. yeah...I win!!
Hurricane Donna (1963) and hurricane Camille (1968) were more devastating than Katrina. Katrina is well known because she devastated one important city.
To the list I would add hurricane Andrew (1992). Perhaps the most damaging storm of the 20th century.

Jul 2012
BC, Canada
My mind goes to relatively infrequent but devastating volcanic eruptions like Pompeii and especially Krakatoa. Aberrant waves stretching halfway across the world and dark skies all over the globe must have been an incredible testament to the power that was unleashed.

Angelica

Ad Honorem
Dec 2011
Angel City
I remember Matthew it hit us as a category 4. The eye of this storm passed over New Providence knocked down a lot of trees (which creates a domino affect) tore off a few roofs. The storm came and fortunately for us it did not linger unlike Dorian.