Hypatia Of Alexandria

Oct 2018
Adelaide south Australia
Not long ago, a book on Hypatia was recommended to me by a member here. I forget who.

I wanted to pass on my thanks and give an update:

I ordered the book online, from The Book Depository, from whom I have bought books for over a decade. It was only $A22, paperback, delivered free from the UK.

It turned up on 24 December, with a small problem; the book is in Polish. I clearly remember ordering from the title, which was in English. I contacted The Book Depository, who basically said I was lying.They agreed to give me a credit if I return the book to the UK, paying the postage. (they have an Australian distributor, but not allowed to us that) Sending the cheapest way, it will take about 6 weeks to get there ,and another 6 weeks if I reorder.

Decided not to bother: Discovered today that I can get an ebook version from an Australian Publisher, for $A4.20 . I think I'll get that. I have a readers on my tablet which will read just about any format.

VHS

Ad Honorem
Dec 2015
Brassicaland
Not long ago, a book on Hypatia was recommended to me by a member here. I forget who.

I wanted to pass on my thanks and give an update:

I ordered the book online, from The Book Depository, from whom I have bought books for over a decade. It was only $A22, paperback, delivered free from the UK.

It turned up on 24 December, with a small problem; the book is in Polish. I clearly remember ordering from the title, which was in English. I contacted The Book Depository, who basically said I was lying.They agreed to give me a credit if I return the book to the UK, paying the postage. (they have an Australian distributor, but not allowed to us that) Sending the cheapest way, it will take about 6 weeks to get there ,and another 6 weeks if I reorder.

Decided not to bother: Discovered today that I can get an ebook version from an Australian Publisher, for $A4.20 . I think I'll get that. I have a readers on my tablet which will read just about any format.
Is the book in its original language? I have refused to read translated works if originals are readable to me, which includes English, Modern Chinese and Classical Chinese.

Oct 2018
Adelaide south Australia
Is the book in its original language? I have refused to read translated works if originals are readable to me, which includes English, Modern Chinese and Classical Chinese.
Yes, original language. I have no choice, I'm fluent in English ,but am not an intellectual snob about translations.

I speak enough of several languages for emergencies and enough to get me into some serious misunderstandings. I did a short language course in Vietnamese about 25 years ago. I was hopeless; do not have the 'ear' for tonal languages.

VHS

Ad Honorem
Dec 2015
Brassicaland
What's the book title?
I am pretty sure there should be English books written about the subject matter.
I usually have too much to read any days.

Oct 2018
Adelaide south Australia
The Title is 'Hypatia of Alexandria' and yes, it IS available in English; that's what I thought I was buying. It's sorted, I bought an Ebook on Hypatia for $4.20..

Similar History Discussions