Hypnotism - is it bunk or is it real?

Feb 2011
Perambulating in St James' Park
Has anyone on Historum ever been hypnotised or hypnotised anyone else? Does anyone know if it's definitely real and how easy is it to do?

If it was real then surely it could be used against terrorists or criminals?

I'm quite interested in learning hypnotism, there's so many things I could do! :cool:

Asherman

Forum Staff
May 2013
Albuquerque, NM
Most people can be hypnotized. It is a common misconception that a subject's intelligence is related to susceptibility to hypnotism. We are all open to suggestion, and our minds are really remarkable things in shaping our perceptions. Some words, gestures, postures, and patterns are especially good at inducing a trance state. I used to a bit of hypnotism for friends who felt it would help them in some way. I gave it up as I came to a fuller understanding of "unintended consequences". So far as I know all of my subjects achieved their aims, and had no negative effects from the experience.

Self-hypnotism is also very common, and is a by-product of mindful meditation. When the mind is finely focused the problem of suffering arises. There is a component of "self" in that we start by just trying to reduce our own suffering. In mediation, we find the key to our problem is in service to the wider problem of suffering. Suffering can't be fixed by chanting a magic formula any more than the Philosophers Stone can turn dross into gold.

Sep 2013
Ireland
You're hypnotized every night when you go to sleep. Whisper whatever it is you want someone to think of you in their ear while they sleep and the results will surprise you.

Asherman

Forum Staff
May 2013
Albuquerque, NM
Earl ... "there's so many things I could do!" The Self, the "I", craves power, and power magnifies the "I" and a seemingly endless chain of effects all leading to suffering. I know your intentions are "pure" and you would like to transform the world into a better place. Good intentions aren't enough. The world is a complex fabric, and we see/know so little of it that error is almost a given. Let the world tend to its own bruises and warts for a little longer whilst you weed your own garden. Put your attention on living in such a way as to mitigate the suffering that you do. We complain of the lack of civility in modern intercourse, but we can't control the way others think, or speak, or behave. We do, however have the potential of controlling ourselves. It seems easy, but it is not.

BTW, we may not be able to visit this May, but this visit is among our highest priorities. Even if we get there, we won't be able to stop in Rochester to see you. We will be in Canterbury from the evening of the 18th until sometime in the morning?? of the 20th when we go up to London for two days. From London the plan is to ride Britrail up to Berwick-on-Tweed and Stirling before taking the train down to Liverpool for a flight back to Shannon, Ireland. Given Natalie's problems, we may have to cut entirely the Scottish leg of the trip. Can we get refunds on BritRail Passes? Oh well...

Naomasa298

Forum Staff
Apr 2010
T'Republic of Yorkshire
Has anyone on Historum ever been hypnotised or hypnotised anyone else? Does anyone know if it's definitely real and how easy is it to do?

If it was real then surely it could be used against terrorists or criminals?

I'm quite interested in learning hypnotism, there's so many things I could do! :cool:
I have done both. It's not bunk.

There are certain prerequisites, one of which is trust between subject and hypnotoser. Thus, it's not going to work on criminals and terrorists.

Why not just resort to rohypnol?

Oct 2011
MARE PACIFICVM
I've been hypnotized and it is not bunk, but it is also not what most people think. The mind isn't completely shut off. I still remember everything that was going on while hypnotized. It feels kind of like sleeping or being in an intense dream.

Also, unlike what we see in the movies, hypnotism doesn't work involuntarily. The subject has to want to be hypnotized. In my case, it took me a couple of tries before I was able to hold still and concentrate long enough to get results.

EDIT: The closest analogy to what it feels like that I can make is it feels like when you are in a dream and you are self-aware but not really in control of your actions - you just act based on some unseen instruction and don't make conscious decisions. I hope you understand what I mean...

Last edited:

Naomasa298

Forum Staff
Apr 2010
T'Republic of Yorkshire
I've been hypnotized and it is not bunk, but it is also not what most people think. The mind isn't completely shut off. I still remember everything that was going on while hypnotized. It feels kind of like sleeping or being in an intense dream.

Also, unlike what we see in the movies, hypnotism doesn't work involuntarily. The subject has to want to be hypnotized. In my case, it took me a couple of tries before I was able to hold still and concentrate long enough to get results.

EDIT: The closest analogy to what it feels like that I can make is it feels like when you are in a dream and you are self-aware but not really in control of your actions - you just act based on some unseen instruction and don't make conscious decisions. I hope you understand what I mean...
I would liken it more to feeling like there is no reason not to comply with what the hypnotist asks you, so you do.

Oct 2011
MARE PACIFICVM
I would liken it more to feeling like there is no reason not to comply with what the hypnotist asks you, so you do.
Maybe that's a better way to put it. That was what made the biggest impression on me though, was how the hypnotism was able to cut out my own mental inhibitions and opposition. I never felt close to saying "no" to anything asked.

Naomasa298

Forum Staff
Apr 2010
T'Republic of Yorkshire
I can probably even do it remotely.

Try this.

Clasp your hands in front of you, like you're praying. Hold your two forefingers pointing upwards and together. Press the heels of your palms together and now hold your forefingers apart as far as you can.

Now...

Watch the spinny circle animation. As you watch, your fingers will move closer and closer and closer together. Closer and closer. Closer and closer...

Now, if that worked, I'll explain it.

Sep 2013
Ireland

This describes exactly the feeling I got when in Corfu being hypnotized.

Similar History Discussions