I am an Iranian Azeri trying to figure out who my people were

Jul 2017
Norway
Hi guys, Im very interested in History and something that is a mystery to me is my own history and heritage. (The irony)

Some people say that Azeris of Iran are ethnically Persian who later became Turkified in language but kept their Persian culture. I personally do not believe this.

Some people, especially the turks of Turkey, say that we are Turkish people ruled by a Persian government, and that we should owe our allegiance to Turkey. I personally do not believe this either.

So there remains two option,

1. We are a different ethnicity that have always lived in northwestern Iran but share a lot in common with the Persians being that we have lived under the same country for thousands of years.

2. We migrated to Iran from somewhere else and became Persianized but kept our language

3. We became Turks because of Ottoman-Persian wars. (Intermarriage, rape, etc)

If number 1 is correct, then how come we speak a language that is so close to Turkish. Did they steal our language? Did we steal their language?

If number 2 is correct, where did we migrate from? I have read that turks migrated from Mongolia, does that relate to Azeris also? If it is true how come we dont look asian?

If number 3 is correct, what were we before?

PS: I know that Iran was ruled by Turks for a long long time, until Pahlavi dynasty.

BTW: I do not want an independent Azerbaijan. No matter what, Iran is my country.

Last edited:
May 2016
Nabataea
The early inhabitants of Azerbaijan, IIRC were Scythians, and later on was the center of the Caucasian Albania kingdom. With the slightest logical approach you will concede that what comes to be known and defined as the modern boundaries of today's Azerbaijan wasn't magically depopulated before the arrival of Turks, nor were the natives of Persian background. despite what Chauvinistic nationalists from both sides tend to believe.

In all probability they were Iranic (Check:Old Azeri) speakers and it's not synonymous with Persian. But more related to.

It really doesn't matter now, since most nations are not homogeneous. If you go further back in time there are constant migrations and changes on all aspect, from linguistic, ethnic, and religious shifts.

If number 1 is correct, then how come we speak a language that is so close to Turkish. Did they steal our language? Did we steal their language?
Gradual replacement, similar thing happened to the natives of Anatolia.

Jul 2017
Norway
The early inhabitants of Azerbaijan, IIRC were Scythians, and later on was the center of the Caucasian Albania kingdom. With the slightest logical approach you will concede that what comes to be known and defined as the modern boundaries of today's Azerbaijan wasn't magically depopulated before the arrival of Turks, nor were the natives of Persian background. despite what Chauvinistic nationalists from both sides tend to believe.

In all probability they were Iranic (Check:Old Azeri) speakers and it's not synonymous with Persian. But more related to.

It really doesn't matter now, since most nations are not homogeneous. If you go further back in time there are constant migrations and changes on all aspect, from linguistic, ethnic, and religious shifts.

Gradual replacement, similar thing happened to the natives of Anatolia.
So, you're saying, Azerbaijanis of Iran are a mixture of Scythians native to Iran and Turkic Hordes invading from east? The same Turks that later moved west and founded the ottoman empire?

May 2016
Nabataea
So, you're saying, Azerbaijanis of Iran are a mixture of Scythians native to Iran and Turkic Hordes invading from east? The same Turks that later moved west and founded the ottoman empire?
Well, i was speaking of Azerbaijanis Azerbaijan. the pre-Turkic natives were Iranic and Caucasian speakers.

Mar 2016
Antalya
You are Turk, whether you like it or not. You do not owe a jackshit to Turkey as a state, be it your "allegiance" or love.

Whoever says you became Turk because of Ottoman empire is an illiterate peasant. Turks populated that area before even Ottoman Empire was a state. It is even earlier than Seljuk Empire. You, maybe not you but Iranian Azeri Turks are hardly "Persianzed", considering their mother tongue is Turkish (or whatever you call it). Iranian Azeri Turks learn Persian (depending on the region of course) in school. This is true for Tebriz, for example.

Jul 2017
Norway
You are Turk, whether you like it or not. You do not owe a jackshit to Turkey as a state, be it your "allegiance" or love.

Whoever says you became Turk because of Ottoman empire is an illiterate peasant. Turks populated that area before even Ottoman Empire was a state. It is even earlier than Seljuk Empire. You, maybe not you but Iranian Azeri Turks are hardly "Persianzed", considering their mother tongue is Turkish (or whatever you call it). Iranian Azeri Turks learn Persian (depending on the region of course) in school. This is true for Tebriz, for example.
I know I am a Turk, and I am proud of it. I do not see myself as a "Persian" Nor do I want to be one, but the truth is that turks of Iran are heavily Persianized. However I believe that a lot of what is called "Persian" is not necessarily Persian, but Iranian. Like for instance Zoroastrianism, the religion that Persians calls for their "true religion" originated from Iranian Azerbaijan. But it is now called a Persian religion. Carpets from Tabriz are considered the best in quality and beauty, but they are called Persian carpets. So I actually prefer to use the term "Iranified" but it doesnt exist

Iran has been ruled by Turks for thousands of years, but the country was still known as Persia, and its inhabitants and rulers as Persians.

But, these Turks you are speaking of, are these the same turks that migrated from Mongolia? They are depicted with asian characteristics. How come we do not look like them at all? Did we inhabitant and mix with the locals? Did we invade/rape? Who were the locals? Were they Persian?

If what you say is true, then the Ottomans and Azeris are the same people, they both migrated from the same place, settled in Iran, but some moved west and founded the Ottoman empire while some stayed in Iran and founded the Turkic empires in Iran (Saffavid, Afsharid, Qatar, etc) Going by this logic the Turkish people aren't really Turks? The Ottoman rulers were Turks, but I doubt they were enough to populate whole of Turkey

Last edited:
May 2016
Nabataea
^
This is a baseless (aka non-scientific/non-scholarly) statement. Just to warn people to avoid taking it as truth.
Not exactly sure what you are objecting of.. the Turkification of Anatolians? it's like citing the sky is blue. we rarely find people have sense unless they agree with us. you're entitled to deceive yourself however.