I am an Iranian Azeri trying to figure out who my people were

Jul 2012
I am entirely convinced you are a Persian troll with a secret agenda.
It crossed my mind in some of his posts as well.

Honestly, just ignore these kinds of threads and posts. It's not like they are going to change our identity.

İt hürer, karvan keçer / İt ürür, kervan yürür. The dog barks but the caravan moves on.

Jul 2017
Norway
How in the world you think Ottomans were Turks, but Anatolians are not? I haven't heard a coherent post from you in this thread.
Because they migrated from the east, conquered the Byzants and ruled the people that were already there

Dec 2011
This is actually my field. Short answer is that you're a mixture of Turkic and some indigenous (non-persian) Iranian.

Iranians are a much broader ethnic group including Persians, Afghans/Pashto, Tajiks, Balochs (in Pakistan), Kurds (descendants of the ancient Medes), and extinct populations like the alani of the caucasus, the scythians, Sakae and Sarmatians who inhabited much of modern Russia, and the Dahae and Sogdians who inhabited the turkic states like Turkmenistan and Kazakstan.

Turks have been migrating from west china and east russia to the west since antiquity. the huns were an early known turkic group. By the time of the Seljuq empire, the turks had replaced much of those indigenous iranians and to some extent, intermarried with them.

Azeris are ethnically a majority turkic, but you also have iranian scythian and median ancestory. Culturally we'd say you are persianized as youve adopted a lot of iranian cultural attributes. Azeris have further connection to iran in that they founded the Safavid empire, which is the beginning of modern iran's history.

This is just my subjective opinion, but I view Azeris as being multicultural like say Mexicans (who are a mixture of european and indigenous americans). You have similarities with other populations, but youre really youre own distinct group now.

Last edited:

Naomasa298

Forum Staff
Apr 2010
T'Republic of Yorkshire
Keep your mouths OFF each other, and stick to the points being discussed.

This is the only warning you're going to get. I don't care much for nationalist squabbles on this forum.

Jul 2017
Norway
I am entirely convinced you are a Persian troll with a secret agenda.
It crossed my mind in some of his posts as well.

Honestly, just ignore these kinds of threads and posts. It's not like they are going to change our identity.

İt hürer, karvan keçer / İt ürür, kervan yürür. The dog barks but the caravan moves on.
Or someone in this forum with a fake account.
how else you deny that your are the result of cultural genocide ?

and dont worry, i have already reported some troublesome posts on behalf of you. last thing we need is keyboard fight on history forums.
Thanks, Im just stating the facts. Ottomans entered and qonquered what is now modern Turkey from the east. Unless they brought millions of warriors and tribesmen with them, and the local inhabitants disappeared. The population today, consists of those same local inhabitants (Greeks, Armenians, Byzants, Romans, Kurds etc) but they became subject to Turkification because the rulers were obviously Turk. So they cannot biologically be Turks.

Because this is a history forum, I thought people here were genuinely interested in history and it was all about history, not nationalism and fascism.

Jul 2017
Norway
This is actually my field. Short answer is that you're a mixture of Turkic and some indigenous (non-persian) Iranian.

Iranians are a much broader ethnic group including Persians, Afghans/Pashto, Tajiks, Balochs (in Pakistan), Kurds (descendants of the ancient Medes), and extinct populations like the alani of the caucasus, the scythians, Sakae and Sarmatians who inhabited much of modern Russia, and the Dahae and Sogdians who inhabited the turkic states like Turkmenistan and Kazakstan.

Turks have been migrating from west china and east russia to the west since antiquity. the huns were an early known turkic group. By the time of the Seljuq empire, the turks had replaced much of those indigenous iranians and to some extent, intermarried with them.

Azeris are ethnically a majority turkic, but you also have iranian scythian and median ancestory. Culturally we'd say you are persianized as youve adopted a lot of iranian cultural attributes. Azeris have further connection to iran in that they founded the Safavid empire, which is the beginning of modern iran's history.

This is just my subjective opinion, but I view Azeris as being multicultural like say Mexicans (who are a mixture of european and indigenous americans). You have similarities with other populations, but youre really youre own distinct group now.
Are there any research done about when the Turks started to migrate to and settle in Iran? Do we know if there were any Turks in Iran during Arab conquest of Persia?.
From what I have read, The first Turkic Empire in Iran were created from within, by local Iranian Turks. With the exception of Timmy (Seljuks maybe?) and the later Ottoman wars. Turks didn't invade Iran, they were already there.

Azar means fire in Persian. So Azari means "fire people" Zoroastrianism is known as "the fire religion" Some people suggest that Zoroastrianism was the state religion during The Achaemenid Empire. If that is true then the Azeris must have inhabited Iran since ancient times.

The more I learn about this, the more confused I get. I have come to the point where I am not even sure if Azeris are Turk

Last edited:

Afrasiyab

Ad Honorem
Sep 2007
Why on earth would it matter if Anatolians are not 'genetically' (sic) Turks?

For goodness sake. We cannot relate anything to a persons actions or mentality, hopes dreams fears and preoccupations, by reference to their supposed DNA

We first start to understand people in the context of their language, and cultural practises and traditions.

Why do people insist on this childish obsession with DNA and 'genetic' Turkikness (sic)

It's asinine beyond belief.

My thoughts exactly. Who cares If I genetically turn out to be Georgian or Laz or Greek? My native language is Turkish, I am Turkish, my loyalty is to the Turkish state.

While on the subject, peoples are classified based on their native language ~ Take Tuvan Turks. They are genetically more similar to Mongolians, than say, Turkmens, but they are a Turkic people because they speak a Turkic language. So Azerbaijanis of Iran or Azerbaijan are a Turkic people because they speak a Turkic language as their native language.

Look at Israelis. Are the Ashkenazim and Sephardim the same? Yemenite Jews, even? Not at all. Israelis even go futher and they claim Israel as theirs because allegedly their ancestors lived in that land 2000+ years ago though not even one single Israeli can scientifically prove his/her lineage to ancient Israelis but they, from the ethno-linguistic perspective, claim they are Hebraic. As for the Jews, for instance, there are Karaim and Krymchak, and they do not consider themselves Hebraic or Semitic because their native languages are Turkic. Even though they follow Judaism, though different than the mainstream one, they distinct themselves from the most of the Jewish world.

Last edited: