I am the only person who thinks Richard III of England abused Elizabeth Of York? Or no?

Dan Howard

Ad Honorem
Aug 2014
Australia
No abuse. It seems as if they had a genuine affection for each other. A good balm against the barbs of Lancastrian propaganda is the Sunne in Splendour by Sharon Penman.

Sep 2014
Queens, NYC
There was no allegation that there was ever a sexual relation between the two.

The most that is claimed is that during the time there was a rumor that Richard was contemplating marrying her, she sent a letter to the Duke of Norfolk asking him to support the marriage.Buck (George) claimed, in the 17th century, to have seen the letter at the Howard family's main residence. The letter seems to have disappeared.

It should be pointed out that it has been speculated that the marriage referred to in the letter was the proposed marriage between Elizabeth and a Portugese noble.

Mar 2018
United States Of America
There was no allegation that there was ever a sexual relation between the two.

The most that is claimed is that during the time there was a rumor that Richard was contemplating marrying her, she sent a letter to the Duke of Norfolk asking him to support the marriage.Buck (George) claimed, in the 17th century, to have seen the letter at the Howard family's main residence. The letter seems to have disappeared.

It should be pointed out that it has been speculated that the marriage referred to in the letter was the proposed marriage between Elizabeth and a Portugese noble.
Maybe it's my bias toward him [richard] that often see him as bad person. But Allison Weir convinced me in her book A Tudor Queen and her world that Richard was abusing her. She never really said it, she just implied it. ;)

Jun 2017
maine
I shouldn't read too much into this. He had bad press and was accused of many misdeeds but messing around with his niece wasn't one of them. Henry Tudor (Henry VII) was--I suspect--behind many of these stories but, since marriage to Elizabeth was important to his cause, he'd hardly risk tainting her reputation. These historical novelists are out to tell a good story and make a few dollars.

Similar History Discussions