I am the only person who thinks Richard III of England abused Elizabeth Of York? Or no?

Mar 2018
United States Of America
I shouldn't read too much into this. He had bad press and was accused of many misdeeds but messing around with his niece wasn't one of them. Henry Tudor (Henry VII) was--I suspect--behind many of these stories but, since marriage to Elizabeth was important to his cause, he'd hardly risk tainting her reputation. These historical novelists are out to tell a good story and make a few dollars.
It was a biography.

Jun 2017
maine
She is a story teller, not a serious scholar. This is not a criticism because there are some fascinating stories between the lines. NPR quoted Isak Dinesen on this several days ago: "any sorrow can be borne if a story can be told about it". People like Ms. Weir and Shelby Foote do a great deal that is positive in popularizing history. But do not doubt that there is a difference between a work that has years worth of documentable facts and a popularization.

Mar 2018
United States Of America
I shouldn't read too much into this. He had bad press and was accused of many misdeeds but messing around with his niece wasn't one of them. Henry Tudor (Henry VII) was--I suspect--behind many of these stories but, since marriage to Elizabeth was important to his cause, he'd hardly risk tainting her reputation. These historical novelists are out to tell a good story and make a few dollars.
Still, is it weird I get a gut feeling like it happened?

Similar History Discussions