I am the only person who thinks Richard III of England abused Elizabeth Of York? Or no?

stevev

Ad Honorem
Apr 2017
Las Vegas, NV USA
Elizabeth of York was the daughter of Edward IV and presumably heir to the throne of England after her unfortunate brothers. AFAIK she never actually claimed the throne but married Henry Tudor who defeated Richard III ( Elizabeth's uncle) for the throne of England.

stevev

Ad Honorem
Apr 2017
Las Vegas, NV USA
Richard wasn't (my) her husband. That was (my) her uncle.
Well Elizabeth (you) may have a better claim to the English throne than Henry. She (you) should drive a harder bargain with Henry so that she is (you are) queen regnant and he is prince consort. Her (your) fallback position is being co-ruler like with William and Mary.

Last edited:
Jun 2017
maine
For another look from a different angle, I suggest you read Josephine Tey's Daughter of Time. It is an old detective novel in which some of the charges against Richard are examined--using police techniques.

My attitude toward matters historical may different than yours because I am a genealogist: I am fixated on the "cast of characters" and on sources. I admit to having a pretty low opinion of Henry VII.

Jun 2017
maine
If you believe that, you're indulging in a fantasy.
The existence of past lives is one of those items that can neither be proved nor disproved. I agree that it seems highly unlikely (and if I ever presented a genealogy with a primary source of myself, I'd be chuckled out of the Maine Genealogical Society). But, in the lack of a source or evidence to the contrary, that door isn't closed.

Jun 2017
maine
Why? By many accounts he was one of England's most competent late medieval/Early Modern monarchs.
He was a miser. He probably murdered the Princes in the Tower--and blamed Richard. His financial dealings with his nobles were nothing short of extortion. He was a usurper. He ushered in the most evil royal house in Europe. He was cruel to his own supporters. He smirked.

Mar 2016
Australia
He was a miser. He probably murdered the Princes in the Tower--and blamed Richard. His financial dealings with his nobles were nothing short of extortion. He was a usurper. He ushered in the most evil royal house in Europe. He was cruel to his own supporters. He smirked.
I'm not sure how much of this is you intentionally being over-the-top and sarcastic, so....

Similar History Discussions