I.D. Type of Medieval Costume - Nationality , Period?

Jul 2019
USA
I was trying to identify the likely time period and possible nationality of this vintage face mug.

The clothing suggests a crusader while the face has a sort of Vlad the Impaler vive. Of course it could entirely be a fantasy piece from Deneen Pottery.

Attachments

Jan 2015
MD, USA
Ha, love it! But it's not anything historical as far as I know, just a modern mug. Well, I suppose the general style might look like something from a couple hundred years ago, maybe, 18th to 19th century crockery isn't my specialty! I don't think decorations like this are that old, though. And whatever that character might be wearing can't really be distinguished, either.

So yup, very cool, but just a fantasy mug!

Matthew

Linschoten

Ad Honoris
Aug 2010
Welsh Marches
Definitlely the kind of mustachios that men were wearing in Wallachia in about 1350; these potters evidently have very learned designers.

Jul 2019
USA
Ha, love it! But it's not anything historical as far as I know, just a modern mug. Well, I suppose the general style might look like something from a couple hundred years ago, maybe, 18th to 19th century crockery isn't my specialty! I don't think decorations like this are that old, though. And whatever that character might be wearing can't really be distinguished, either.

So yup, very cool, but just a fantasy mug!

Matthew
I think it likely dates from 1972 to 1984. The couple (Mary & Peter Deneen) that started the company sold their items at Renaissance fairs. Another relative John Deneen also made items. They also sometimes collaborated with other potters such as John Coiner who also sold such things in similar venues. This may be a collaborating piece as it has a Deneen mark and another unidentified mark that looks like a "69" or possibly a Yin and yang symbol. They changed the way they make mugs in 1985 and were bankrupt during the later 1980s, emerging again in the early 1990s.

Unfortunately the company only sends out copy and paste sales replies to questions about older items, which they may not have any record of since each was hand made and the bank took all the company's assets.

Deneen Pottery's History | Deneen Pottery

Thanks for the reply.

Last edited:
Jul 2019
USA
Definitlely the kind of mustachios that men were wearing in Wallachia in about 1350; these potters evidently have very learned designers.
My first thoughts were:

1. Vlad.
2. A Christianized Viking due to the Cross.
3. A Crusader.
4. A Knights Templar or similar group.
5. An extra in Monty Python's Holy Grail.

Thanks for the reply.

Similar History Discussions