I found an article about why and how HISTORY Channel died.

MrKap

Ad Honorem
Aug 2011
It's one of the few that carries Ancient Aliens!

Did you hear? There are no elephants in Jumanji. That's why we need good solid documentaries. I understand your desire to be VR 24/7.

Jun 2018
New Hampshire
Excellent article. Like the author I also grew up in the 1990s watching historical documentaries on the History Channel. Give me old World War II documentaries over reality television tripe any day of the week.

Oct 2016
Merryland
managed to access the article in the OP

good read. quite right, as they say.

folks got tired of all the Hitler didn't realize that it would get much worse

Oct 2018
Raritania
Excellent article. Like the author I also grew up in the 1990s watching historical documentaries on the History Channel. Give me old World War II documentaries over reality television tripe any day of the week.
Unfortunately I’m in my teens so I never experienced this ‘golden age’ of HISTORY channel. Smithsonian and AHC have really good documentaries now, though.

Oct 2018
Adelaide south Australia
Until a few months ago, I had Foxtel cable. This changed when I had a new isp and enough data for streaming--"Hello Netflix!". By comparison, Foxtel is appalling, in terms of cost and context .(and adds!)

My memories of the Foxtel History Channel are that I ended up thinking of it as the 'Hitler and Alien channel', and tended not to bother with it..The few good programmes it showed turned up on SBS ( public broadcasting) and I've noticed some pretty good series on Netflix.

I'm hoping that Foxtel dies the death it deserves for its corporate greed.

Similar History Discussions