I have a question about old England armor.

Jun 2019
Taiwan
Hello.
I recently saw a movie named "Vikings" produced by Netflix, and I'm wondering the helmet in the movie is really according to history or not ? I spend for long time to find the article of this kind of Anglo-saxon armor(picture under) , but found nothing. Could anyone tell me is this kind of helmet real exist ? Thanks. IMG_4219.jpg

authun

Ad Honorem
Aug 2011
Four helmets have been found which date to the anglo saxon period. The 7th century Benty Grange helmet is made of bone and has a christian cross and wild boar motifs, replica:

The best preserved is known as the Coppergate Helmet found at the Jorvik dig in the 1970s. It dates to the 8th century.

The most famous is the Sutton Hoo Helmet, replica:

The last is the badly coroded Shorewell helmet, replica:

There is also a cheek piece from a helmet which was found in Staffordshire:

I have never seen a viking period helmet that looked like those depicted in your photo.

Jan 2016
Victoria, Canada
Those are definitely based on classicizing helmets from the Renaissance, not actual Anglo-Saxon kit. I'm pretty sure they used the exact same ones (more accurately) for the late-15th century French soldiers in The Borgias:

The Renaissance helmets were, in turn, based on Hellenistic helmets from the 3rd-1st c. BC, but with updated materials and construction:

Sep 2012
Tarkington, Texas
Never use the TV Show Vikings as a way to authenticate old armor. They used rubber and leather for armor and weapons on the show. Most people who wore helmets also used helmet liners to keep the helmet upright and help absorb blows. Try putting on a cooking pot and have someone gently tap it with a hammer. It will hurt! Enemy armor and weapons were primo loot. Most Vikings did not own a sword and instead used a spear or a farm axe.

Pruitt

Hello.
I recently saw a movie named "Vikings" produced by Netflix, and I'm wondering the helmet in the movie is really according to history or not ? I spend for long time to find the article of this kind of Anglo-saxon armor(picture under) , but found nothing. Could anyone tell me is this kind of helmet real exist ? Thanks. View attachment 21178
There is no evidence of such a helm for that period.

Feb 2016
Japan
You will find that tv shows struggle to show Anglo Saxons in period accurate garb.... they’d look too similar to vikings and they prefer to have the factions clearly distinguishable .... so Viking’s get some exaggerated dress, and their enemies get some a historical mish mash of out of period clothing.

Similar History Discussions