I have a question about old England armor.

Jan 2016
Victoria, Canada
That reconstruction appears to be based on contemporary Carolingian illuminations, which are highly unreliable due to their heavy classicizing tendencies. The helmet at the very least certainly isn't Anglo-Saxon, instead being a Carolingian artistic imitation of Hellenistic styles from 1000 years earlier (see images earlier in the thread for actual Anglo-Saxon helmets):

The scale armour is more plausible, as similar armours were still in use in some parts of early medieval Europe, and there's at least one piece of Anglo-Saxon art, the 8th century Repton Stone, which might depict a scale cuirass (although it has also been interpreted as mail):

The rest of the kit looks accurate enough, although, as noted by Pruitt, only a noble or noble/royal retainer would have had that much armour, a helmet, and a decorated sword, whereas standard levies would have normally only had a spear, shield, and maybe a helmet and/or some quilted armour at best.

authun

Ad Honorem
Aug 2011
Thanks for all. I searched another web , but I'm sure isn't it correct ? (Please see the picture under)
The illustration is from a 19th century pictorial archive, that is, a victorian image of the anglo saxon army. They had romantic notions. It's not accurate.

Matthew Amt

Ad Honorem
Jan 2015
MD, USA
The illustration is from a 19th century pictorial archive, that is, a victorian image of the anglo saxon army. They had romantic notions. It's not accurate.
I would say it's a Victorian interpretation of a *Carolingian* or Frankish warrior, not English at all. As others have pointed out, the helmet is that distinctive type often seen in Carolingian artwork, as is the scale armor.

Of course, depictions of scale armor may greatly exaggerate the size of the scales, there just isn't much archeology to back it up. We haven't really found helmets like that, either!

Matthew