I might be a descendent of King Arthur?

Nov 2019
Tennessee
Hello,
My last name is Stroud,we are of English decent. Over the past few months I have been putting some thought in my last name,Stroud. It roughly translates to people of the bush(or shrubbery) by the river, from England. We were exiled from the U.K. by King Henry the VII for our religious beliefs. So anyways my Uncle used to be in possession of a certain type of ring or jet should I say. The ring had two knights on it one of Black Swan knight with a feather on the helm and a predecessor to a knights Crusader with a shield and a coat of arms. It was very,very old. It was unfortunately lost. Long story how the ring was lost. My grandfather hid the ring from my uncle in a shop we owned roughly 20 years ago. We didn’t know anything about it until when I met the new owner of the shop (completely out of the blue)who found the ancient ring in a wooden box in the rafters of the shop. Him not knowing what it is he pawned it a few months prior to meeting me. After he told me this I tried contacting him and I was never able to reach him again. The ring is floating at a pawn shop somewhere in Gallitan Tennessee. I hadn’t tried looking for it yet but I might consider looking for it . But to say if I actually was a decedent of a Pendragon what would this mean? A sign of the end of days? The Stone cast has been broke? Could I still be recognized as a direct descendent of one of England’s greatest King’s ? Will the Spanish Henry’s try to ruin me? I have many questions to my journey of finding my true meaning in this life. By the way I may already have Excalibur... Mine is not a sword given to me from a women under water but rather a high end Gibson Les Paul given to me after almost making it big in a Rock in Roll band from my bassist who got me in with the group. I’m in my mind 20’s. Any help?

AlpinLuke

Forum Staff
Oct 2011
Italy, Lago Maggiore
Since there is no historical certainty about who was King Arthur [if he existed as single individual ... personally I think Arthur is a literary construction based on a sum of different figures, tales, traditions ...] I do doubt you will be able to check if he was an ancestor of yours ...

Peter Graham

Ad Honorem
Jan 2014
Westmorland
By the way I may already have Excalibur... Mine is not a sword given to me from a women under water but rather a high end Gibson Les Paul given to me after almost making it big in a Rock in Roll band from my bassist who got me in with the group. I’m in my mind 20’s. Any help?
Arthur is a mythical figure, so you are highly unlikely to be descended from him.

However, if you are a bona fide rock star with a Les Paul, you don't need to waste any time worrying about shadowy dark age legends. Leave that sort of thing to fusty historians who, even if they had a Les Paul, would probably squander it by only playing dreary 18th century reels or whingy protest songs about the Diggers.

Tulius

Ad Honorem
May 2016
Portugal
Hello,
My last name is Stroud,we are of English decent. Over the past few months I have been putting some thought in my last name,Stroud. It roughly translates to people of the bush(or shrubbery) by the river, from England. We were exiled from the U.K. by King Henry the VII for our religious beliefs. So anyways my Uncle used to be in possession of a certain type of ring or jet should I say. The ring had two knights on it one of Black Swan knight with a feather on the helm and a predecessor to a knights Crusader with a shield and a coat of arms. It was very,very old. It was unfortunately lost. Long story how the ring was lost. My grandfather hid the ring from my uncle in a shop we owned roughly 20 years ago. We didn’t know anything about it until when I met the new owner of the shop (completely out of the blue)who found the ancient ring in a wooden box in the rafters of the shop. Him not knowing what it is he pawned it a few months prior to meeting me. After he told me this I tried contacting him and I was never able to reach him again. The ring is floating at a pawn shop somewhere in Gallitan Tennessee. I hadn’t tried looking for it yet but I might consider looking for it . But to say if I actually was a decedent of a Pendragon what would this mean? A sign of the end of days? The Stone cast has been broke? Could I still be recognized as a direct descendent of one of England’s greatest King’s ? Will the Spanish Henry’s try to ruin me? I have many questions to my journey of finding my true meaning in this life. By the way I may already have Excalibur... Mine is not a sword given to me from a women under water but rather a high end Gibson Les Paul given to me after almost making it big in a Rock in Roll band from my bassist who got me in with the group. I’m in my mind 20’s. Any help?
Hello and welcome to Historum, but I think you posted in the wrong forum. There are good fantasy role-play forums out there.

Apr 2019
UK
The best approach is to go from the ancestor furthest back that you are certain existed - if they had a title and were a member of the English, Scottish, Irish or Welsh aristocracy you can usually trace family lines a long way back pre-Norman England. However a bit before that things get sketchier and sketchier until you are relying on the works of later writers recounting stories, rather than more verifiable facts like burial records. Getting your DNA checked might also help, at least to verify if you have geographical ancestry that might fit the historical record. I had no idea how I had some Spanish and Portugese ancestry until it emerged that my English and French ancestors married Spanish and Portugese princesses within the historical record - and the percentage of DNA started to make sense. I have found that actually it's the stories of some of my non-famous ancestors that are more interesting e.g. beheaded at the Tower of London after being involved in a plot to oust the king, and how several were early settlers in what is now the US, only to come back to England, or who left children behind and so on. The key absolutely is to find anyone with a title, then you can trace backwards. If you have a few it is interesting to see how often second cousins or slightly more distant married so sometimes the tree gets broad then contracts back in.

sparky

Ad Honorem
Jan 2017
Sydney
I can affirm with great certainty that I'm related to various monarchs , villains and heroes
for being in straight descent from Adam ,
or the most common ancestor if one is scientifically minded

Sep 2015
ireland
Keep in mind that an ancestral line is broken every ten generations or so by a deceitful lady who pulled the wool over the eyes of her knight in shining armour.

Reactions: kazeuma