I might be a descendent of King Arthur?

sparky

Ad Honorem
Jan 2017
Sydney
every ten generations !!!
methinks you are somewhat optimistic , having a nooky with a close relative or brother in law or father in law leave no genetic trace
if tradition keep women closely constrained is to try to ensure some genetic continuity
a futile endeavor

Chlodio

Forum Staff
Aug 2016
Dispargum
If I recall the stories correctly Arthur only had one son who died young so that Arthur never had any grandchildren. But assuming Arthur does have living descendants, you are his descendant. So am I. So is everyone whose ancestors hailed from Northwest Europe. You're also descended from Charlemagne and everyone else who lived more than a thousand years ago including Jack the butcher, Will the ditch digger, etc. Why is it that no one brags about being their descendants?

You (and everyone else) have two parents, four grandparents, eight great grandparents, sixteen great great grandparents, etc. The number of ancestors doubles every generation so that 16 becomes 32 which becomes 64 which becomes 128, 256, 512, 1024, 2048, 4096, 8192, 16384, etc until after 35 or 36 generations you have more ancestors than all of the people who have ever lived. Beyond 35 or 36 generations, you are, practically speaking, descended from everyone. If your family came from England you probably don't have any Japanese ancestors, but you are most likely descended from everyone who lived in Europe a thousand years ago. There's genealogy out there that Elizabeth II is descended from Mohamed. Beyond a certain point, genealogy no longer distinguishes people as belonging to one group or another. We're all related if you go back far enough.

Reactions: Tulius

johnincornwall

Ad Honorem
Nov 2010
Cornwall
No thanks, we've already got one.
Not another Arthur expert OP.

"Your mother was a hamster and your father smelt of elderberries. Now go away or I shall taunt you for a second time - you Arthur king, you and all your silly English knnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnniggets"

Dan Howard

Ad Honorem
Aug 2014
Australia
We are all related to King Arthur.

Just as much as we are all related to Kevin Bacon.

JoanOfArc007

Ad Honorem
Dec 2015
USA
Hello,
My last name is Stroud,we are of English decent. Over the past few months I have been putting some thought in my last name,Stroud. It roughly translates to people of the bush(or shrubbery) by the river, from England. We were exiled from the U.K. by King Henry the VII for our religious beliefs. So anyways my Uncle used to be in possession of a certain type of ring or jet should I say. The ring had two knights on it one of Black Swan knight with a feather on the helm and a predecessor to a knights Crusader with a shield and a coat of arms. It was very,very old. It was unfortunately lost. Long story how the ring was lost. My grandfather hid the ring from my uncle in a shop we owned roughly 20 years ago. We didn’t know anything about it until when I met the new owner of the shop (completely out of the blue)who found the ancient ring in a wooden box in the rafters of the shop. Him not knowing what it is he pawned it a few months prior to meeting me. After he told me this I tried contacting him and I was never able to reach him again. The ring is floating at a pawn shop somewhere in Gallitan Tennessee. I hadn’t tried looking for it yet but I might consider looking for it . But to say if I actually was a decedent of a Pendragon what would this mean? A sign of the end of days? The Stone cast has been broke? Could I still be recognized as a direct descendent of one of England’s greatest King’s ? Will the Spanish Henry’s try to ruin me? I have many questions to my journey of finding my true meaning in this life. By the way I may already have Excalibur... Mine is not a sword given to me from a women under water but rather a high end Gibson Les Paul given to me after almost making it big in a Rock in Roll band from my bassist who got me in with the group. I’m in my mind 20’s. Any help?
Ah King Arthur, his name and glories have given great hope to many people Through the ages.

Look up the oldest Church records you may find. Good luck in your journey friend.

specul8

Ad Honorem
Oct 2016
Australia
" Might be ..." 😏

This descendant thing is curious ... well, to me anyway. Here we have an advert - one of those 'find your ancestor scams ' , the woman in the ad ; " Everyone wants a convict in their family , " :think:

They do ? What happened to the good old days when all those people used to be a reincarnation of Cleopatra ? .... I miss them good old days .

sparky

Ad Honorem
Jan 2017
Sydney
I can affirm with pride that I descend from a millennium long line of knuckles dragging scratch farmers ,
with the possible interruption of a few bandits or raping soldiers

my great grand father was probably the first one in the long line of ancestors to be able to read
I'm sure he had some misgiving about the concept
on the women side , backbreaking work , interrupted by birthing a dozen of babies seems to have been the norm
my grandmother claim there is a witchcraft potential running through , but that is a very common delusion in country folks
the natural being so wretched , the supernatural is a pleasant fantasy

Moros

Ad Honorem
Jun 2012
Hello,
My last name is Stroud,we are of English decent....It roughly translates to people of the bush(or shrubbery) by the river, from England. We were exiled from the U.K. by King Henry the VII for our religious beliefs....my Uncle used to be in possession of a certain type of ring or jet should I say. The ring had two knights on it one of Black Swan knight with a feather on the helm and a predecessor to a knights Crusader with a shield and a coat of arms. It was very,very old....But to say if I actually was a decedent of a Pendragon what would this mean?...Will the Spanish Henry’s try to ruin me?...I’m in my mind 20’s. Any help?
None of what you say points to any evidence or suggestion that you descend from King Arthur.

These types of story arise from agendas other than the truth. A belief in a hidden destiny in the face of imagined persecution (historical or expected), and the hunt for hidden treasure that will prove your importance, will lead nowhere. Don't rely on the past, or on others, to give your life meaning. Borrowed glory has a hollow glow.