I need help History boi's!

Apr 2017
U.S.A.
Okay, so there was only one empire in Europe between Rome and Napoleon if you exclude the Byzantines/Ottomans (not enough territory in Europe), Russia/Golden Horde (eastern Europe apparently doesn't count as part of Europe) and Colonial Spain/Britain/France/Netherlands/Portugal/others (Can't count them with their vast global territories in Europe and across the world because their rulers didn't specifically call themselves emperors in this timeframe).

Edit: Apparently my veiled sarcasm went unnoticed.

Last edited:

Chlodio

Forum Staff
Aug 2016
Dispargum
Okay, so there was only one empire in Europe between Rome and Napoleon if you exclude the Byzantines/Ottomans (not enough territory in Europe), Russia/Golden Horde (eastern Europe apparently doesn't count as part of Europe) and Colonial Spain/Britain/France/Netherlands/Portugal/others (Can't count them with their vast global territories in Europe and across the world because their rulers didn't specifically call themselves emperors in this timeframe).
I would count the Byzantines and Russians as Europeans, but being Eastern Orthodox, they owed no obligation or deference to the pope.

Apr 2017
U.S.A.
Greece and and Balkans wasn't enough territory?
Apparently not according to the previous posters.
I would count the Byzantines and Russians as Europeans, but being Eastern Orthodox, they owed no obligation or deference to the pope.
The OP did not specify the necessity of an empire owing allegiance to the pope. I believe the Byzantines did briefly pledge unity with the Catholic church.

Futurist

Ad Honoris
May 2014
SoCal
For some inexplicable reason, I cannot find any sources or texts that mention/explain why, that at least in Europe, there could be only ONE official Empire. (Like how it is a misnomer to call the Angevin Empire an 'Empire' because they didnt refer to themselves as one, mentioning that the Holy Roman Empire is the only true Empire)
I was hoping you guys could help me out, by other explaining or posting links, as to why this was the case. Apparently the answer also relates to Theology?
I appreciate the help :)
Who exactly said that there was only one official empire in Europe?

Futurist

Ad Honoris
May 2014
SoCal
Eastern Europe doesn't count as being a part of Europe? Why? Due to its Eastern Orthodox faith?

After 1054, at least.

Comet

Forum Staff
Aug 2006
IA
The concept may have started as early as the 4th century when Constantine called the Council of Nicea to fix the Christian crisis of that century. Someone mentioned it earlier...one God, one emperor. As Choldio mentions, this idea was reinforced when the pope crowned Charlemagne in 800. The term Christendom (Christian kingdom) began to stick as a major part of the medieval concept of an empire.