I want a coin

Feb 2011
Scotland
I was SO excited, something came up, Claudian, for $49.00, I JUMPED ON IT, but got tied up in some Pay Pal nonsense, and when it finally got feathered out, the coin had already been SOLD. Maybe that was actually the problem to begin with. But imagine that, Claudian, rubbed so much you could hardly see anything on it, and only $49 bucks... anyways, gone.
What sort of coin was it? A Claudius sestertius or As or Denarius?

Feb 2011
NY, NY
I think, benzev, it was a Quadrans. But the text of the offering was in German so I am not certain. But it was Claudius and dated some time late in the 40's. 49, I think.

Also, there was another coin, similar time period, up for sale at the same site that looked shiny and coppery that also was going for a similar price, but when I tried to get it, it too stalled me then declared it no longer available. How, unless maybe gold, could it still be shiny? Does this seem right?

Last edited:

Jax

Ad Honorem
Aug 2013
Seattle
Bought a coin a while back from https://www.forumancientcoins.com/ and can recommend them.

For $40.00 I bought a coin that was so common and basic that it may have been in Paul the apostles hand at some point. :)

I keep it in it's plastic sleeve, in my wallet, and take it out every now and again to play with it. One of the best 40 buck purchases that I have ever made. :)

Feb 2011
Scotland
I think, benzev, it was a Quadrans. But the text of the offering was in German so I am not certain. But it was Claudius and dated some time late in the 40's. 49, I think.

Also, there was another coin, similar time period, up for sale at the same site that looked shiny and coppery that also was going for a similar price, but when I tried to get it, it too stalled me then declared it no longer available. How, unless maybe gold, could it still be shiny? Does this seem right?
You should be able to get a quadrans in better condition and price than $49 for a very worn example- for instance here-
https://www.vcoins.com/en/stores/aegean_numismatics/1/product/roman_empire_claudius_4154_quadrans/454868/Default.aspx

Vcoins offers more US dealers (and therefore lower postage) including Forum Coins- but you ought to be able to secure an As, Dupondius or Sestertius of Claudius (with his portrait) within the $49 price, especially if you are ok with a worn example.

The example I gave above showed one reason a coin can look shiny and coppery- when found they are encrusted after 2000 years and require professional cleaning, but if overcleaned so no patina is left and leaving the bare metal, it will appear coppery and shiny again.

Another reason for a coin looking gold-like is that some coins were struck in orichalcum, a brassy alloy which looks gold-like when cleaned. No dealer would mistake gold coins for copper and you won't see any Claudius gold for under $2000 and probably much more!

When you tried to pay, was the coin still in your basket afterwards? If it isnt shown as available, it probably hasnt been sold but some glitch on the site shows it as unavailable. If in doubt, write to the dealer at his contact email to secure the coin.

Feb 2011
Scotland
Bought a coin a while back from https://www.forumancientcoins.com/ and can recommend them.

For $40.00 I bought a coin that was so common and basic that it may have been in Paul the apostles hand at some point. :)

I keep it in it's plastic sleeve, in my wallet, and take it out every now and again to play with it. One of the best 40 buck purchases that I have ever made. :)
They are good dealers!! What coin do you have? :)

Jax

Ad Honorem
Aug 2013
Seattle
I remember now- thanks!!

It is a beautiful coin and I hope it gives you much pleasure. :)
Oh! Totally. Thanks! :)

Definitely a well spent 40 bucks. :cool: The other coin that I carry around is a fake silver Krugerrand that I found on a remodel that I was working on in Seattle.

I keep it to remind me to "read the fine print". ;)

Do you have a favorite coin?

Feb 2011
Scotland
Oh! Totally. Thanks! :)

Definitely a well spent 40 bucks. :cool: The other coin that I carry around is a fake silver Krugerrand that I found on a remodel that I was working on in Seattle.

I keep it to remind me to "read the fine print". ;)

Do you have a favorite coin?
It's a good fake! But safer to carry around than the real thing. :) What's a remodel?

Favourite coin...I did have an aluminium token, with acid wear, purporting to be from Theresienstadt - since lost- and some coins my grandparents had, early 20th century British, and some still-shiny 1967 pennies that were the last issued but are pretty common still! Roman coin wise, a De Britann Didrachm of Claudius

Feb 2011
NY, NY
Thank you both. I will check out both sites tonight.

Wow, benzev, THAT particular coin of yours, something with Britain on it AND Claudius would really be, for me, the cat's meow.

I am so stuck on reading about the year 43 A.D., the invasion. I just keep imagining standing on a hill, staring down at three legions worth of vessels sailing toward the beachhead.

Question for you, I read where, in at least one of Julius' invasions, some 800 sailing vessels were involved. I also read that in 43 A.D. there were three different legions and at least two different landing zones. Do you think there were three? One for each legion? And even if there were do you think the entirety of the Roman invasion force could have been seen from one vantage point in Britain at the same time? How many ships do you think were involved in 43 A.D.? Also, benzev, I hope you don't mind me asking you all this, but do you think the sails themselves were striped in different colors?

Finally, I think what Jax likely meant when he referred to a"re-model" was a re-construction, a fixer-upper of a home.