I want to know more about the Belgian colonial Congo

Apr 2013
Romania
I will like to know more about the Belgian Congo from the begining of the colonial period 1884 until independence in 1960. Does anybody know of books about this subject.(in french or english).:cool:

PM96

Ad Honorem
Feb 2012
California
Under the rule of Belgian King Leopold II, the Congolese people were placed under a brutal program of forced labor and violence, causing about 10 million deaths.

Ancientgeezer

Ad Honorem
Nov 2011
The Dustbin, formerly, Garden of England
Under the rule of Belgian King Leopold II, the Congolese people were placed under a brutal program of forced labor and violence, causing about 10 million deaths.
While in no way detracting or mitigating the method of rule of Leopold or even of Belgian State rule after 1908, the figure of ten million is at best a wild guess. Contemporary reports suggest figures from " a million" to 22 million. The fact is, nobody knows. The best one can do is to consider that the area was ravaged by slavers, disease and internal war before, during and after Belgian interference and the "best guess" of the population of the entire continent in 1900 was 90 millions. 1890s Congo may have been able to support a population of 7 to 10 million maximum and academic research suggest a reduction between 1890 and 1924 of some 15% of the population.

Apr 2013
Romania
Well, that's the problem, too many books that focus more about King's Leopold II genocide and not the Colonial Congo. I read some of them. What I want to know is if there are books about the organization, the institutions, the colonists life there etc of the Belgian Congo until independence. The books could also be in french. By the way we have some belgian fellow forumists here? Maybe they can help me.