Career Guidance I want to work in international affairs/diplomacy, but I don't exactly know how

Sep 2015
My background:

· Spanish citizen (Spanish nationality).
· 35+ years old.
· 6+ years working as a freelance translator (English, French and German) with several certifications (C2 in French, C2 in German, CPE in English, legal translator for the Spanish Ministry of Foreign Affairs, etc)
· French major (French grammar, literature and history)
· Masters degree in European Union (Law, institutions, etc, of the European Union)
· Pretty big portfolio of translated documents about politics, diplomacy, international law, history, economics, etc.

- This is my current self. Now, these are my goals:

· Working as an interpreter/translator for the European Union
· Working as an interpreter/translator for the United Nations
· Working as a diplomat for the Spanish government
· Working as a diplomat for any other government of the European Union
· Working as a diplomat for the European Union/United Nations, or any other public institution
· Working in a private company which has interests in Brussels, Vienna, etc (Lobbies, corporations, etc.)

- This is what I have thought about doing:

· Masters degree in Common Law in any American/Canadian university
· Masters degree in International Law in any university
· Masters degree in International Trade in any university

So, any ideas? Especially about future education. Should I do another Master? Should I do any other thing? Do I need experiencie in the private sector before applying for a job in an embassy or public institution? What kind of companies should I apply to? How can I find companies that would hire someone with that background?

I'm kind of lost here and I don't know what the optimal strategy would be. Also, I'm afraid I'm a little old the those kind of positions.

Any help will be welcomed, cheers.


Ad Honorem
Jul 2011
It seems to me that you should apply to join the public service. With those qualifications the Spanish government should be able to find some role for you and once in you can work your way up from there.
Apr 2015
If you want to work in the EU institutions, you have to pass the competitive exams set by the European Personnel Selection Office. I don't see how a Law degree in a common law country may help you, as only the British use that legal system in the EU. But a degree in European law or International law could be more useful : many universities in Europe offer such degree, but the College of Europe in Bruges is quite reputed as the "Harvard Business School of EU political elite". Quite tough to get into it, though.

Similar History Discussions