IB History Historical Investigation Help needed

Apr 2010
So basically, I'm screwed for my historical investigation.

The rough draft is due tomorrow, it's 3:30 AM, and I only have the plan of investigation done. I can't think straight. I need help coming up with an outline.

My topic is "To what extent did the Vietnam War affect pop music in the 1960s and 1970s?"

I can't think of anything to outline with for Part B (Summary of Evidence).

Pwease halp? ._.

Black Dog

Ad Honorem
Mar 2008
Damned England
Could you please give us a quick rundown on what you know so far? It's part of the homework forum rules, I'm afraid, and Avon will get nasty if I jump in without this ;)

But some ideas to think about:

1. Did Vietnam cause the Protest song, or were protest songs around before Vietnam?

2. Was it just Vietnam that caused such widespread disillusionment with the US government, or was McCarthy and his successors to blame? John Birchers? Those who saw reds everywhere? America's racial policies?

3. The Civil Rights movements? To what extent did they cause Americans to think more deeply about their society and government?

4. Drugs: to what extent did the so called "mind broadening" effects of marijuana and LSD and other psychedelics etc provoke a debate about society?

5. Hendrix's seminal performances at Woodstock and Monterey: "Machine Gun", "Star Spangled Banner" etc? Such music was plainly inspired by the Vietnam war; to what extent did such music provoke ordinary Americans to think about it? (look up Hendrix's performances on YouTube if you've not seen them).

6. The traditional "Hippy" message of peace and love plainly goes against wasteful wars like Vietnam, but to what extend did Vietnam cause the Hippy movement (think male draftees etc, American servicemen being killed or maimed).

I cannot say much more at the moment (follow the rules, and I'll be glad to help), but hopefully I have given you a few ideas to think about.

leakbrewergator

Ad Honorem
Apr 2010
US
4. Drugs: to what extent did the so called "mind broadening" effects of marijuana and LSD and other psychedelics etc provoke a debate about society?
This is the biggie here, IMO. Don't forget Heroin...

Black Dog

Ad Honorem
Mar 2008
Damned England
This is the biggie here, IMO. Don't forget Heroin
:D

Not a psychedelic drug, technically, but I think that Heroin probably influenced music more than any other drug, including LSD and cocaine. People write great songs with heroin. With Coke, they spend all day in the studio, and come in the next day and say, "what the hell was that??" :D