Identifying a WW2 German Uniform

Nov 2019
Australia
Hi all. I'm rand new to the forum and are hoping someone may be able to assist me in working out the rank/position/role of the solider in this photograph. I've researched quite a bit online and can't positively identify. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.20645929_10154869267752957_1559906217_n.jpg cropped.jpg

sparky

Ad Honorem
Jan 2017
Sydney
it seems to me it's not a military uniform per see , more like some civilian service , what is the sleeve strip ?

Nov 2019
Australia
Unfortunately the writing is not legible. There is a dagger/holster. The number 4 on the collar is something I cannot find any reference to either. Thanks for chiming in!

Larrey

Ad Honorem
Sep 2011
I agree it looks like a civilian uniform. Almost everyone in Nazi Germany had one.

This book might hold some answers:

Reactions: JD Ward
Nov 2019
Australia
Thank you Larrey for your thoughts. So everyone had a state issued dagger too? I'll certainly look at getting that book.

Larrey

Ad Honorem
Sep 2011
Thank you Larrey for your thoughts. So everyone had a state issued dagger too? I'll certainly look at getting that book.
That's less certain, but part of the point of all these civilian uniforms was to blur the lines between civilian-military, peace-war, all in the interests of the totalitarian state where everything was supposed to be suffused by the Nazi ideology.

tomar

Ad Honoris
Jan 2011
How do you know it is German ? (as opposed to some of the axis units/ countries) ?

The epaulettes checkering is reminiscent of that of the then croatian symbols

Last edited:
Nov 2019
Australia
The photo is of a member of a family I know and I can confirm, definitely German. Possibly from the Lubeck region.....