Identifying dog tags

Jun 2019
Israel
Hello everyone,

I have found my grandfather's dog tags from ww2. I think he served in the Czech army and later the red army. However I couldn't find much information on dog tags to clearly identify them. If anyone can tell me anything on these I would be very thankful.

Attachments

Belgarion

Ad Honorem
Jul 2011
Australia
They appear to be the type worn around the wrist rather than around the neck, and the perforations allow it to be snapped in half if the soldier is killed, with one section being sent to the military department responsible for casualty recording and other administration, and the other remaining on the body to allow the grave marker to be inscribed and place of burial to be recorded. I would suggest it may be the Czech army as I don't think the Red army bothered about identifying the dead that much, and if they did the inscription would probably be in Cyrillic script.

Tulun

Ad Honorem
Nov 2010
Western Eurasia
It looks quite similar to this one
VHU PRAHA

google translate says (I can't speak Czech, I hope a Czech user can correct it if there is some mistranslation):

In July 1918, the French army introduced a new model of identification mark, which was to gradually replace the then used signs M1881 worn in pairs. The new stamp was marked with a perforated line that separated two identical texts. In the event of death, one half broke off for the records of the fallen and the other half remained with the body, eliminating the need to wear signs in pairs. Another typical feature was the chain used to attach the mark around the wrist, which was originally riveted to the stamp and the soldier had no chance to remove it without damage. His popularity is evidenced by the nickname crémaillère, which the chain got during testing. This deficiency was later corrected by adding a ring to remove the mark.

The M1918 stamps were to be published only after the old model's supplies were consumed. Czechoslovak soldiers met this model for the first time apparently during World War II in the 1st Czechoslovak Division in France. Marks were quite popular among soldiers and their use was not stopped by France's surrender and evacuation to Great Britain. We can rarely find them on the Eastern Front. An example of this is the presented stamp, owned by artillery officer Vilem Sacher (born February 17, 1907), who after previous service in France and Great Britain left in 1944 to the USSR and ended the war as artillery commander of the 3rd MS. separate brigade.

Dimensions: 3.4 x 4.2 cm

The subject was donated by the family in 1999 to the collections of the Military History Institute in Prague.

So it was originally a French dog tag (it also explains why we can see the French officier word on it) which was then also adopted by the Czechoslovak soldiers who continued to fight in France in the Czechoslovak Division (and I guess in subsequent formations too)...

Similar History Discussions