If America never colonized the Philippines, would the Philippines become one of the richest countries in the world today?

Edratman

Ad Honorem
Feb 2009
Eastern PA
What is the basis for the assertions of wealth by the Filipinos over at YouTube? There are several possible avenues that lead from 1900 to today, and none of them appear to be a yellow brick road.

Apr 2017
U.S.A.
If the Spanish American war never happened the Philippines would have remained under Spanish rule until WW2, when Japan would have took them. If Japan was never defeated, millions of Filipinos would have been killed and it wouldn't be very rich (at least not for the average Filipino). If the Japanese were defeated and the Philippines became independent it probably wouldn't be any better off than it is now. Now an alternate scenario being if America drove Spain out and then demanded the Philippines be independent, they would probably be an ally of America (similar to Cuba) and then be invaded by Japan in WW2 (same result as above). A variation of this being the Philippines becomes independent and pursues and independent foreign policy (no American relations), then they may prosper some (not much as they wouldn't have enough educated people or experience to build their country into prosperity) but would again, be invaded by Japan in WW2 (unless they ally with them like Thailand). Either way, after the war they would prosper but not significantly more than in the real timeline.

stevev

Ad Honorem
Apr 2017
Las Vegas, NV USA
Perhaps the OP thinks the Philippines could have thrown off Spanish rule on its own. However Cuba was not able to do that. Assuming they did, I would like to hear the OPs story. The islands were in a good position for trade between Asia and North/South America. However the best opportunities for this were after Japan's defeat by which time the Philippines were independent.

martin76

Ad Honorem
Dec 2014
Spain
It is funny Paulagens you are always doing tricky questions (and always, always about the former Spanish Dominions) where you give an affirmation.. kind of Because British Dominons are riche than... or the kind of It is Philippine one of the richest countries on Earth because USA... etc etc

FALSEHOOD... 1st: Philippines is not (unfortunatly) one of richest countries in the world. Second: if one day it is... it is not going to be because of USA or Spain.. but because of Philippines...
One question for you.... If Britain never colonized Sri Lanka...and Bangladesh...
would Sri Lanka and Bangladesh become one of the poorest countries in the world today?

Sep 2018
Sri Lanka
It is funny Paulagens you are always doing tricky questions (and always, always about the former Spanish Dominions) where you give an affirmation.. kind of Because British Dominons are riche than... or the kind of It is Philippine one of the richest countries on Earth because USA... etc etc

FALSEHOOD... 1st: Philippines is not (unfortunatly) one of richest countries in the world. Second: if one day it is... it is not going to be because of USA or Spain.. but because of Philippines...
One question for you.... If Britain never colonized Sri Lanka...and Bangladesh...
would Sri Lanka and Bangladesh become one of the poorest countries in the world today?
You're that Spanish nationalist are you?

So far most of my questions have been about WW2....

It was just by chance that I asked something about Spain....

I've got bigger questions to ask but unfortunately... you know...

And I'm not really from Sri Lanka, I'm from the Philippines.... I won't get banned for lying would I?

betgo

Ad Honorem
Jul 2011
Spain was in control for 8x as long as the US. The US made infrastructure and educational improvements. I remember a quote from a Philippina, "we got are culture from China, our religion from Spain, and our sewage system from the US." That give some idea of the difference in priorities between Spain and the US.

Similar History Discussions