If America never colonized the Philippines, would the Philippines become one of the richest countries in the world today?

Feb 2017
Latin America
The degeneracy of this thread is the reason why I left this site for a long while. It's not a question of "evolution" but of social development. The US brutalised the Philippines and left it poor and uneducated. Simple as that. It's not because of some idiocy about divergent evolution or distinction in human groups which only racists (here liberals included, who nevertheless prefer to appear enlightened by talking of "culture" instead of biology) are obsessed with. Had the US not colonised the Philippines, it probably wouldn't be Japan but neither would it be what it is today. It could be comparable to Argentina or Chile, for example.

Aug 2019
Netherlands
Do I think that poor education could have some role in the underperformance of countries such as the Philippines? Yes, certainly! That said, though, I wouldn't necessarily put as much weight in regards to this as you think. After all, Vietnam is a poor country and yet its students managed to perform very well on PISA when they took this exam. Ditto for China even back in 2009:

Honestly, I suspect that things such as malnutrition, parasitic disease load, and iodine deficiency might play a much larger role in depressing IQ scores throughout the Third World. Some or all of these factors might reduce IQs in the Philippines as well.

That said, though, I'm unsure that all countries actually have the same potential in regards to their average IQ. As in, I am unsure that there will actually be full convergence in average IQ scores between all countries. Some convergence is to be expected--especially between the Third World and the First World--but not necessarily full convergence. After all, it's not completely implausible that different human groups evolved differently in regards to this as a result of centuries, millenniums, or even tens of millenniums or more of divergent evolution.

Also, again, I do think that the Philippines would probably be able to converge to Bulgaria's/Romania's/Serbia's average IQ levels, but I'm less certain about beyond that. Anyway, time should tell. It would be nice to be proven wrong because a higher average IQ means a larger smart fraction as well as more potential in regards to things such as achieving economic growth and economic prosperity.
There is nothing wrong with the philippino IQ in general.
Philippines is one of the most corrupted countries in the world. Higher education is predominantly for people with money. Also grades or diploma's can often be bought. The educational system is very much based on favouritism. Even a beauty contest. The participant's job is to collect as much money as she can. The winner is the one who collects most money for the organisation, and that money will not go to some noble foundation. It's normal there.

Reactions: Futurist

Futurist

Ad Honoris
May 2014
SoCal
Had the US not colonised the Philippines, it probably wouldn't be Japan but neither would it be what it is today. It could be comparable to Argentina or Chile, for example.
With consistently good leadership, Yes, it actually could be. Either Argentina or Chile or at least Mexico or Brazil. It's worth noting that countries that don't perform too well on the PISA exam--such as Bulgaria and Romania--can still deliver a standard of living to their populations that's massively superior to much of the Third World. So, yeah, I do think that with the right leadership and policies, a lot of the Third World could at least converge to Bulgaria's or Romania's level of GDP per capita (while also improving their performance on academic tests such as PISA in the process).

Futurist

Ad Honoris
May 2014
SoCal
There is nothing wrong with the philippino IQ in general.
Philippines is 1 of the most corrupted countries in the world, higher education is predominantly for people with money. Also grades are often bought. The educational system is very much based on favouritism. Even a beauty contest. The participan's job is to collect as much money as she can. The winner is the one who collects most money for the organisation and that money will not go to some noble foundation.
Interesting. How do you propose that we fix this?

Futurist

Ad Honoris
May 2014
SoCal
So since the Filipinos are more stupid they can't improve their country.''
I actually said that they could improve their country and at the very least eventually acquire a GDP per capita comparable to Bulgaria or Romania. That would still be a 2.5-fold/3-fold improvement in comparison to right now:

There's a difference between expressing doubts about the idea that the Third World will fully converge to First World levels in regards to things such as PISA performance or GDP PPP per capita and saying that the Third World cannot significantly improve its current situation. After all, there's a wide spectrum in between the status quo and full convergence with the First World.

Futurist

Ad Honoris
May 2014
SoCal
It's a long internal process. I think one of Duterte's political philosophies is to turn this, but this can't be done in one generation I assume.
Well, let's wish him luck, shall we? :) Indeed, let's see just how much the Philippines's score on tests such as PISA are going to improve over time.

Aug 2019
Netherlands
Well, let's wish him luck, shall we? :) Indeed, let's see just how much the Philippines's score on tests such as PISA are going to improve over time.
I think health wise Duterte will have already trouble to fullfill this first term, he's old and looks tired already. There are so many things to do in that country and corruption is so deeply cultured. This job is too big for him.

Futurist

Ad Honoris
May 2014
SoCal
I think health wise Duterte will have already trouble to fullfill this first term, he's old and looks tired already. There are so many things to do in that country and corruption is so deeply cultured. This job is too big for him.
Does he at least have a suitable successor?

Aug 2019
Netherlands
Does he at least have a suitable successor?
He has a daughter who's in provincial politics, maybe her.

I guess the smaller upperclass never really wanted to go forward. They just wanted to keep this economic uneducated "overseas foreign worker" model which is half of the national income.